Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after an unfortunate collision with a deer in my 2002 Honda Civic EX, I started hunting for a car to make a proper replacement. Looking for a larger vehicle, with decent fuel efficeincy, and performance in line with both, I ended up falling in love with the Ford Focus.

Spending about two weeks searching fairly hard for about two weeks, I discovered my new baby- a 2003 SVT ZX5 in Silver Metallic at a local Dealership just sitting all lonely. It has 51,000 miles, one adult owner, clean carfax, late avail. HID's, and moonroof. All said and done after negotiating an extended warranty I got her out the door for 8,759. Not bad from what I've seen around town.

Now I do have two questions- first and foremost is the car was missing the stock subwoofer and enclosure. I'm guessing the previous owner swapped it for something a little more powerful, but as I don't want to do anything insane until I start upgrading my system this summer, does anyone know where I can find a stock enclosure at least? An 8in sub isn't hard to find, but I have had no luck on enclosures. I'd really like to retain use of my hatch area, and fabricating a stand in enclosure until I do my upgrade just doesn't seem like a good use of my time...

Secondly, while I am not a newbie to tuning (My Civic was K-Swapped, and my summer fun car is a Eagle Badged 1999 AWD\Turbo Swapped DSM Spyder) I am in unknown territory on the Focus. Can anyone point me in the right direction in terms of what a good starting point would be on my SVT? I've just started doing some good hard searching on here and am still building my base.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
looks real nice and clean, welcome. i dont have a svt, mine is a regular zx3, but id look into intake and exhaust if its not already done. im sure someone with a svt can give you lots more info. the subs are on here from time to time and ive seen them on ebay too.

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
hey, [welcome] to FF. Lucky you, you got an Euro SVT..... lol I'm just gonna say it again, I'm converting my sedan with a nice little 110hp SPI, to a turbocharged SVT, with the 6speed tranny and all that exterior stuff, the bumper, euro grille, and mach headlights (like yours) also do my best to get the heated leather recaro seats, and custom interior and exterior paint, plus a rear end upgrade from the 00-04 focus to 05+ [thumb] good luck, and I have no doubt you'll catch the mod bug from this site, and keep wanting to do more and more.... take it from my experience. lol.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Lucky you, you got an Euro SVT.....
Its not an EAP.

Good looking car. I loved my zx5 SVTF.

I would check eBay for an SVTF sub enclosure off look for one off here for sale.

And other than the minor bolt ons for the SVTF, you're left with a s/c or turbo kit.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
you can actually get teh enclosure wit hthe sub and amp (all stock stuff) from the local ford parts counter. it'll be a bit expensive.
also do you ahve the carpet piece that would go over it. (it'll look something like this

for starters with yours i'd look into getting a k'n panel filter (the stock box outflows aem cai)
a rear stess bar kit.
and perhaps hawk pads and centric rotors for brakes. and then an eibach pro kit down the line. thses cars are meant for hauling butt down a curvy road. so play to cars strong suits and you'll love every minute adn are your 5 spokes gunmetal??

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
Awesome.. Love the Black Rims

·
Registered
367 Posts
[welcome] hope u enjoy the svt...that is a good deal for that car. The rims look like the previous owner painted...the stereo that ford put in i think is nice and loud..check the zetec and svt forums cause the ppl will help u out there.. and if u could get a engine pic on there!!!

·
12 years strong
6,882 Posts
welcome to the site man and congrats on the purchase! to be honest, u cant really do much to the svtf that svt didnt already do. they built the motor almost to its peak. so if ur lookin into more hp, then contact turbo tom before he retires!! hes 1turbofocus on here. ur gonna want to turbo or s/c the car. as stated by killer zetec, these cars are NOT straight line monsters. they are meant for a curvy, twisty road. upgrade the suspension and maybe throw some bigger sway bars on there. also put some nice sticky tires on there and ull be lookin foward to on and offramps. lol.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
ok ur going to love ur car...i would start looking here for parts focussport.com
and c-f-m.com or f2focus.com

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
I look forward to on ramps with mine and its not an SVTF and It has all-seasons in back and snows on front... for now. New tires this spring.

That is a nice ride man have fun with it!

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
look into the MTX thunderform sub and enclosure package....

the stock box is OK if you just want some bump. the carpet is harder to find than the box. I just saw a complete thing on here but I think its sold already. check the buy-sell-trade forums!

WELCOME!!! you will be a mod addict on no time...lol

·
WOOT!!!
1,408 Posts
she looks good!! This place alone is addicting! Nice car

·
Sticker Whore
18,739 Posts
very nice looking svt!

5,155 Posts
First off, welcome to the site! [welcome] [wave]

Second, that's a very nice looking SVT you've got there. Take good care of her.

Thirdly, it depends on what you want to do with your SVT. If you want to keep her N/A, I think you're pretty much out of power-adding options. The whole SVT engine is pretty much as good as it can get out of the box. If you want boost, superchargers are generally good enough for daily street driving; but turbos are what make the big numbers. So thats entirely up to you (of course, this is coming from someone whose never owned an SVT, but has read up on them a lot on FF, so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Finally, you can add some fun additions like: stiffer springs or coilovers, short throw shifter, motor mounts, strut bars, etc. All things that will eliminate wheel hop and help you hug the corners.

Parts are generally found at the following websites:
www.FocusSport.com
www.C-F-M.com
www.Steeda.com

Good luck and have fun modding the beautiful ride you've got there! [thumb]

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
Its not an EAP.

Good looking car. I loved my zx5 SVTF.

I would check eBay for an SVTF sub enclosure off look for one off here for sale.

And other than the minor bolt ons for the SVTF, you're left with a s/c or turbo kit.
uhh......heh, I knew that [hihi] no EAPs.... but what threw me off was the presence of machs.... were those standard after the first two years, or what?

5,155 Posts
^I would assume that since the wheels are painted, it was a "young adult" owner who enjoyed modding and added the Machs (but I don't know if they ever became the standard option though). Also, if it were an EAP, it would have the uber-sick Recaros in it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts