Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am new to this site. We purchased a 2012 Focus hatchback on Tuesday. It is for my wife. They're in short supply, and so our options were limited, but we're quite happy with the model (and the price). We have a SE with the automatic and cruise control options. Not the 'sport' model. (The sport models they had on the lot were loaded with things we didn't really want like MyTouch, sunroof, etc). We passed on a Mazda CX-7, a Mazda 3, and Honda CR-V and a Honda civic in favor of the new Focus. (Next year the Mazdas will be much improved with the SkyActive engines, but for 2011 they're behind the curve)

So far I have to say the car is fantastic. It is for my wife to drive, not a sports car (I already have 2 miatas). I'll be looking for tips and ideas to maintain the car, and perhaps add some future mods.

My initial thoughts are to add a trailer hitch to it in 3 years after the warranty is out. We have a small utility trailer for going to Lowes, etc, and it would be very handy to use for short trips and light loads. The car has the mountain mode switch that disables the overdrive and provides engine braking - sounds like a trailer-mode switch to me!

My other idea is to investigate swapping the rear drum brakes out for disc brakes (removed from a sport's model that I might find being recycled) at some time in the future. That's really my only regret in not getting her the Sports option. She won't be driving it in a spirited way at all, or putting it on the track. That said, I can see the potential this car has. There's a real sport car somewhere under all the high efficiency with the DSG and DGI.

By the way, we got the ingot silver color. I think it looks great.

Thanks!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site.

I joined here after getting my first Focus too; on 5/10. There's alot of figuring out how to do X going on as well as waiting for aftermarket products to be released so there should be plenty to read for now. I'm sure it's only going to get busier as more cars are purchased and we get access to more parts and accessories.

Ingot Silver was one of my color choices when my dealer was trying to find a car for me, I'm not disappointed with the Candy Red though.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like a great choice, and it's great to hear to examined all those other options before decided on the Focus. The Silver Ingot was my initial color choice too, but my wife already has a Fiesta in that color, and we thought it may be cheesy to have identically colored cars.

·
Banned
571 Posts
Hi and welcome. I too have the Focus HB in the same colour. The wife's Mercedes is also silver but no cheese here[:)~]

Would the ABS systems impact your wish to swap out for discs?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all.

I Don't think the abs would know the difference, but not sure.

Today I washed, clayed, waxed and detailed the paint. The clay actually pulled some small amount of dirt out even though the car is less than a week old. Paint looks fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts