Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am new to this forum. My mother in law has a 2002 Focus hatch with the dual overhead cam Zetec. It has over 160k and is used every day. She's been living with the car running hot to the point where she has to pull over. Forget about traffic or letting it sit and idle.

I'm no mechanic, but have toys and tools. I know just enough to make me dangerous lol.

Some family did a new thermostat and coolant flush as well as replaced the upper rad hose. They brought it to me thinking there's air in the system. No air in the system...

Fans do not kick on... at all!

I did the following:
1) replaced relays (R 16 and R15)
2) Checked fuses on 2 and 6
3) test light works on 6, not on 2
4) ran wires direct to each fan, verified they work
5) replaced fan resistor and pigtail after finding melted wire plastic and burnt plug

After reading the forum, I guess my next steps are to either continue troubleshooting electrical issues and/or replaced the cylinder head temp sensor that is a PITA to get to.

Am I forgetting something? I'm no electrician, so if I need to probe more stuff, please lmk in detail. Thank you! [twothumbs]

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
'Fans do not kick on... at all!'

Make sure you are waiting long enough, many think they are not when they are. Low fan does not come on until around 225 degrees, many freak at that.

You can test the fan circuit by removing relay plastic covers and taking a finger and pushing down on the exposed contact on each until fan comes on, if that part working then nothing left but PCM telling them to come on or the temp sensor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think there's Three plug in switches with the metal clips on them., one to each fan and then one In between the fans. I had to redo all three, not just the ones one the fans. had he same overheating problem for years until I did that.

·
Registered
17,165 Posts
Not switches, they are the harness connectors to fan motors and resistor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts