Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an 02 focus after totaling my Mazda mx6 do to some idiot drunk driver. Anyways I've been lurking the forum for a while now and decided to sign up. I do have a tech question that has been bugging me with my car the past week or so. I have a high idle at start and have a lot of exhaust popping while driving. I recently did a tune up and got way better performance through the rpm range but still have that annoying pop, a little is common but its a bit loud sounds more like a backfire. I changed out the 02 sensors due to the check engine code and it cleared that right up for about a day and then came back on. I was told it may be a clogged cat but couldn't see any cherry red in it after driving it at night for a while so I'm wandering what could be the issue. I know I mentioned a few things here but any help at all would be greatly appreciated! I am also looking into some cheap used mods (CIA, High-Flow Cat, Cat-Back Exhaust) so if there's anyone out there with some sweet deals feel free to PM me.

Thanks guys![wrenchin]

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
The high idle at start is there so the car can warm up faster. Also the popping is normal as all the svt focus do it with the factory tune.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
If you had a clogged cat then your car would be running like crap. As for the CEL check the fuses for the o2 sensor they might have popped.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I first got the car it ran terrible and would bog down and have a terrible exhaust pop/backfire and then after a bit would stop bogging down and feel ok. I did a tune up and that's when it stopped bogging down for the most part but it does feel a bit sluggish at times.

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Yes the Pop is because of the stock tune. If you want the pop gone, don't get an ORP.

And HFC will help with better flow and less pop. Adding an exhaust won't add much if anything at all but good sound. So, if you want a bit of a deeper tone, check out the TruBendz Exhaust or Borla Exhaust for the SVT.

A Tune will help, but you will still get a bit of pop here and there. I do and I have a tune, but I also have an ORP.

With a tune, the high idel at start will change. You're car is just acting like every other SVT Focus, which is a good thing.

Welcome to the site and glad you decided to start posting as oppose to just being an onlooker. Hope the car takes car of you well, and you begin to enjoy it.

-Ray-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes the Pop is because of the stock tune. If you want the pop gone, don't get an ORP.

And HFC will help with better flow and less pop. Adding an exhaust won't add much if anything at all but good sound. So, if you want a bit of a deeper tone, check out the TruBendz Exhaust or Borla Exhaust for the SVT.

A Tune will help, but you will still get a bit of pop here and there. I do and I have a tune, but I also have an ORP.

With a tune, the high idel at start will change. You're car is just acting like every other SVT Focus, which is a good thing.

Welcome to the site and glad you decided to start posting as oppose to just being an onlooker. Hope the car takes car of you well, and you begin to enjoy it.

-Ray-
What would a tune run? And where would a good place to look into that be? I love the car as apposed to the mazda and thanks again man!

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
On here, we have a gentleman who goes by the name 1TurboFocus, Tom. You can find him lurking in his section FocusPower here.

You will also need a Tuner, a Predator or SCT XCal.
Those will run you between 300-400 depending on where you get it.

The tune itself, as a custom tune, will range between 250-400 also depending on where you take it.

If you buy the Predator from 1TurboFocus, he will put a generic tune that he custom made for the cars to help you. Then when you feel you want to get into more detail and specific with your car, then that's when the cost goes a bit up.

-Ray-

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
Did you change out the spark plugs? If so which ones did you use?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
^^ On your next go around with sparks, I recommend the Motorcraft Coppers. Really great spark plugs and will smooth out your idle and drive idle real nice.

-Ray-

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
^^ On your next go around with sparks, I recommend the Motorcraft Coppers. Really great spark plugs and will smooth out your idle and drive idle real nice.

-Ray-
X2!!!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On here, we have a gentleman who goes by the name 1TurboFocus, Tom. You can find him lurking in his section FocusPower here.

You will also need a Tuner, a Predator or SCT XCal.
Those will run you between 300-400 depending on where you get it.

The tune itself, as a custom tune, will range between 250-400 also depending on where you take it.

If you buy the Predator from 1TurboFocus, he will put a generic tune that he custom made for the cars to help you. Then when you feel you want to get into more detail and specific with your car, then that's when the cost goes a bit up.

-Ray-
Looks like I will be saving for a while with that one haha! I do have access to a pretty sweet comp to check air/fuel and such. Maybe doing some research and a bit of elbow grease might go a long way to start.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
If you just want to do just bolt ons I would do ORP or a high flow cat, all three motor mounts, Colder plugs and a tune. And work on your suspension you will love it! Oh ya and a short shifter!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you just want to do just bolt ons I would do ORP or a high flow cat, all three motor mounts, Colder plugs and a tune. And work on your suspension you will love it! Oh ya and a short shifter!
Im going to look into a HFC first I think. Then maybe a 2.5 to 3 cat back. As for the shifter the only issue is im 6'2 and to drive comfortably I have the seat all the way back and reclined a bit (not ghetto or anything just comfortable) and the shifter from there is already weirdly placed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts