Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I am new here. I am just starting to do some work to my 2000 ford focus zx3 zetec. What engine mods should I start with? I don't want something crazy like a super race car but I want something real nice.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moving this into the Zetec performance section, where you can find info short of forced induction that's in a separate section.

(Edited title)

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Before or WHILE you are wondering about engine mods, here's some food for thought;

What are your short and long term goals for the car?

What is the history and the current condition of the car?

How much money can you/do you want to spend on car improvements within the next year?

Before buying your next set of new tires, ask yourself if you want to put larger wheels on it first?

Most people just improve the looks, paint, window tint, stereo, stance, suspension, brakes and maybe the exhaust... this during or before pushing for engine performance mods. Depends on what you want and your budget.

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
Dont worry about super crazy race car. You're driving a focus.

Tune from Tom, you get the most back if you start here.

Svt header, cat back, tb and if you've got the money, cams. Not really drive train like you wanted but consider the following.

You'll see better results via suspension. I'm running vogtland springs, eibach f/r sways, +1 wheels and nice tires.

Short throw shifters feel nicer to drive.

As far as brakes go, normal rotors, nice pads and SS brake lines.

You'll have the best bang per buck focus out there :D

Cosmetics is all on you.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
As stated depends on what you enjoy your car to do. like to zip around traffic? your warn suspension would likely do with a refresh and the SVT Ford Racing Performance Package is a steal at the price it is. ($300 typically) for shocks, struts, springs, and sway bars.

Want more power SVT conversion is the best bang for $ (out side of Nitrous or forced induction).

A Tune will really wake yup your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate it. forgive my newbieness how does the tune really work? and how do I get in contact with tom?

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Contact Tom (1turbofocus) on the site and or through http://www.focus-power.com/

A Tune works in that you get a programer which has different software which will load on to your cars computer. Where the Factory software had to make sure that it was generic enough for every car a tune is more specific for your car and your mods you add on to it. It also allows for you to data log certain parameters which you can then send back to Tom and he will tweak the tune to customize it even further for you.

Get a Cold air intake, update the tune. Want a high MPG tune you can load that, want a performance 100 octane tune you can load that. Need to return it back to stock for a factory service then load the factory back on.

The idea of a tune is that it tweaks the computers software more for what your specific car is configured for and your driving expectations. Vs a generic software load from Ford.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts