Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2007 Ford Focus ses with the zx4 body style for free from a cousin who didnt need it cause of where she was moving, it has 96k miles and got regular oil changes. Figured considering it was free this would be a decent car to start learning about. Anyone have any tips for someone looking to get into the cars/the focus at least a bit. Thank you all for any help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in pretty much the same situation. 2007 se with 200,000 miles on it. The only difference is my transmission is blown lol. But I would say do maintenance first. Anything that's broken, fix it. Afterwards I would do wheels and tires, suspension, weight reduction, and intake and exhaust. But just remember that some intakes and exhaust require a tune, or it may not run right

·
Registered
452 Posts
Drive it for a while, see what it needs first, and fix those things. You can always upgrade as you fix things, but get used to the car and how to fix it before you go and dump a bunch of money into it.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Buy a 2000-2011 Hayne's manual. All the information is there along with photos and step-by-step procedures to help maintain and repair anything on the car.

The 2007 is considered a Mk 1.5 in the North American market.
The engine size/type is a 2.0 Duratec or D20
The wheel bolt pattern is 4x108 and OEM offset range is between 52.5mm and 49mm

Your vehicle is likely equipped with the "Lifetime" air filter that is not user serviceable. There are instructions for modifying this intake system on this website and others.

At 12 years and nearly 100k miles, you should fully inspect the brake system as well as checking suspension bushings, ball joints, O2 sensors, spark plugs, fuel filter, and mass air-flow sensor.

The North American Focus from 2000-2011 is built on the C170 platform, so just about any part will swap from year to year with some exceptions.

Check the appropriate forum for your vehicle year and read up on what others are doing. It's a pretty simple car that is easy to maintain and fun to drive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My daughter's Focus has been surprisingly reliable. 160,000 miles. The past few years it's taken about $500 to $700 a year in maintenance but it's cheaper than buying a new car.

A few years back, the fuel filler rotted away and had to be replaced.
Around the same time, all of the exhaust aft of the cat had to be replaced.
Should have done the cat at the same time because it went this year.
However, nothing that isn't unusual on a car that is over fifteen years old.

Had some other little problems but the car still looks good, doesn't rattle, and it is more trouble free than my Volvo S60. The interior still looks nice. If it was a bit bigger inside, I'd consider swapping my Volvo for the Focus.

Flush the brakes and check the pads. As others have said, get a Haynes manual and check all the routine maintenance stuff: filters, wipers, plugs, oil, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts