Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Im not questioning that it doesn't snow down there plenty, and I don't know if they take care of the roads(plow/salt) out where your at but the amount of times it gets deep enough for snow tires to be useful over all-seasons(I don't know how well they work as far as driving and stopping on ice is concerned)to how much they cost+extra rims/sensors, how long they last(both on the car and drying out from sitting during the other/mild seasons) just, to me, doesn't sway me enough to recommend them. Your results may vary.
I can't comment on the temp effects and stuff on the tires but there are others here who may be able to answer your question on that.

When I first moved i was considering getting snow tires because I wasn't t sure the focus would handle the snow up here. Im glad I didn't buy a set.
Driving and stopping sensibly my cooper rs3s have had no issue handling the snow and ice I've been dealing with since December up here, everything from a coating to freezing rain to a few inches of snow.
Trust me I have an SUV with lockable 4WD and all seasons most of the time and I still refuse to drive on them in the winter. It makes a huge difference.

I don't have snow tires for the Focus only because it gets garaged and the SUV with winters comes out.

The first time the tires keep me out of a guardrail or from nailing a vehicle head-on is when they'll have more than paid for themselves. It only takes one good hit to total your car...or kill you or someone else.

And really every day I go out and not even come close to an accident is another day they've proved their worth.

Just a heads up, it snowed. Just now. While everyone was arguing. It's going to continue snowing all weekend and the roads are already now trashed because there was minimal pre-salting/prep. I'm not going to walk out and take a picture of my ruler, but I'd say there's about 2-and-change inches, which is plenty with the temperatures we're seeing, especially considering there's more coming.

I think that answers our questions there. That's great that you don't think you need them, but I do. Every single driver I know who knows what a snow tire is... has snow tires. That includes my family and a good chunk of my friends.

Can we get back to discussing what the actual best snow tires are (and summer tires, while we're at it, since I'll probably order 'em all in one shipment)?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Just a heads up, it snowed. Just now. While everyone was arguing. It's going to continue snowing all weekend and the roads are already now trashed because there was minimal pre-salting/prep. I'm not going to walk out and take a picture of my ruler, but I'd say there's about 2-and-change inches, which is plenty with the temperatures we're seeing, especially considering there's more coming.

I think that answers our questions there. That's great that you don't think you need them, but I do. Every single driver I know who knows what a snow tire is... has snow tires. That includes my family and a good chunk of my friends.

Can we get back to discussing what the actual best snow tires are (and summer tires, while we're at it, since I'll probably order 'em all in one shipment)?
No need for discussing when using the search function.

Winter tires www.focusfanatics.com/forum/wheels-tires/268174-official-winter-tires-thread-please-post-any-winter-questions-here.html

Summer tires Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - Search Results for summer tire recommendations

·
Registered
255 Posts
In recent years Maryland ans south east PA have been getting nailed more than northern or central PA. Lots of coastal moisture. Os the op said right now in cent PA we have a dusting, they have several inches. They had 30+ inches last month, so far in the Northern tier of PA we've had a max of 4 inches on the ground this winter. Snow tires make sense for him!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
One of the many reasons I don't live up there. Seems like you'll need two sets of wheel/tire combo's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
One of the many reasons I don't live up there. Seems like you'll need two sets of wheel/tire combo's.
Can you explain this? Why not just have two sets of tires for the rims? Is it just so you can swap out in your own garage (i.e. convenience)?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Can you explain this? Why not just have two sets of tires for the rims? Is it just so you can swap out in your own garage (i.e. convenience)?
Yea you can have two sets of tires for your wheels. If I was doing it, I'd have two sets of wheels & tires mounted up ready to go. A set of dedicated snow tires/wheels & the other set could be a wet/dry tire wheel combo that you could be aggressive with vs a a/s setup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm thinking about getting tires to change out from the Cooper Zeon RS3-A set I have on now (I have the 17" wheels on the '15 sports package).

Does everyone here go with Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's or Michelin X-ice XI3's in the winter like everyone else (for those of you who get winters) or what?

I'm thinking about getting Nokian ZLines for the wet summers, R2's for the winters. I have heard the Nokians are quieter than their Bridgestone counterparts. Anyone have thoughts about their tire experience with either this car or with Nokians?
I have purchased 4 each Achilles ATR Sport 2 235/50R18 101 V Tire very quite and a very aggressive pattern of tread that great water shedding tires and reasonable prices too.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts