Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting tires to change out from the Cooper Zeon RS3-A set I have on now (I have the 17" wheels on the '15 sports package).

Does everyone here go with Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's or Michelin X-ice XI3's in the winter like everyone else (for those of you who get winters) or what?

I'm thinking about getting Nokian ZLines for the wet summers, R2's for the winters. I have heard the Nokians are quieter than their Bridgestone counterparts. Anyone have thoughts about their tire experience with either this car or with Nokians?

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can't speak for winter tires but for all seasons I went with Continental Contiprocontacts. They're the new OE tire I believe. I don't have any complaints about them other than maybe being a little softer (squishier in turns) than the Coopers.

I'm not sure why they catch flak from some other people. Then again, I haven't tried to use them in the winter.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm thinking about getting tires to change out from the Cooper Zeon RS3-A set I have on now (I have the 17" wheels on the '15 sports package).

Does everyone here go with Bridgestone Blizzak WS80's or Michelin X-ice XI3's in the winter like everyone else (for those of you who get winters) or what?

I'm thinking about getting Nokian ZLines for the wet summers, R2's for the winters. I have heard the Nokians are quieter than their Bridgestone counterparts. Anyone have thoughts about their tire experience with either this car or with Nokians?
IMO You will be wasting your money on the winter tires down where you are located.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IMO You will be wasting your money on the winter tires down where you are located.
We had over 2 feet of snow just a few weeks ago, most of the bridges near my place ice over often. It doesn't seem unreasonable to get winter tires. Are you trying to say I should spend less on winter tires (rather than not getting them at all)?

(FWIW I'm moving to Pittsburgh in a few months as well)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Besides maybe not being good in snow, anything wrong with the stock Cooper tires?
I didn't find anything wrong with them. Only reason I replaced mine was the PO never rotated them out and drove with all four corners out of alignment, so the RR was cupped. Since they were never rotated, the rears had good tread and the fronts were low, but the cupped one hobbled and made too much noise to be on the front.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I've been to Maryland, ocean city a few times. Never had a reason to go to Baltimore.
I'm originally from Philly, only moved up here recently. Never needed snow tires on any of my cars or trucks in all the years I've been driving.
Snow storms dumping 2+ feet are not common down there. It melts away in a few days down there, up here it apparently doesn't.
I drove down there during the blizzard on the 23rd of jan, Nothing was plowed from Allentown to Center city and didn't have any problems with lack of traction until I tried to drive thru 24in of wet snow, lifting the car up to high to get traction. Happened only once thankfully but Winter tires would not have helped at all.
When the snow is lifting your car up in the air and the tires don't touch the ground anymore it went matter what tires you have on.
Save the money you would've spent on winter tires, if you worry about traction get some cheap tire chains or something and keep them in the trunk.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been to Maryland, ocean city a few times. Never had a reason to go to Baltimore.
I'm originally from Philly, only moved up here recently. Never needed snow tires on any of my cars or trucks in all the years I've been driving.
Snow storms dumping 2+ feet are not common down there. It melts away in a few days down there, up here it apparently doesn't.
I drove down there during the blizzard on the 23rd of jan, Nothing was plowed from Allentown to Center city and didn't have any problems with lack of traction until I tried to drive thru 24in of wet snow, lifting the car up to high to get traction. Happened only once thankfully but Winter tires would not have helped at all.
When the snow is lifting your car up in the air and the tires don't touch the ground anymore it went matter what tires you have on.
Save the money you would've spent on winter tires, if you worry about traction get some cheap tire chains or something and keep them in the trunk.
As someone who has lived in Baltimore County for 24 years, it snows here plenty, and enough to warrant me wanting better traction in the winter. I assume little will change in the "less snow" direction when I move to Pittsburgh. Besides, aren't winter tires also better than all-seasons in the winter due to the temperature effects on the rubber?

Never been to Maryland before or what?
This is how I feel. We have poor snow control when it does snow too, so everything bad down here in the winter is worse than places up north where they might be better at clearing the roads.

Besides maybe not being good in snow, anything wrong with the stock Cooper tires?
Not particularly, I just felt like if I'm going to get dedicated winter tires, I may as well rotate them out for summer tires as well. I do wish I had more grip in rainy scenarios, and despite not having any *major* problems with it, I'd like some tires that are billed as hydroplane-resistant.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2+ feet doesn't melt away in a few days. Lol
We still have a big mound of snow at the bottom of my road from the plowing. In colder winters, it'll stick around until May (especially since it gets dirty and further insulated).

·
Registered
611 Posts
I guess the part where 2+ft of snow in one storm not being common was missed[facepalm]
Any normal snow (slightly less than 2+ft) you get down there will not stick around on the road for too long.

Anyways...
I stated my opinion about the question regarding snow tires, you disagree and that's fine.
Your aware of your needs more than I am.
I don't know how useful they will be for you in Pittsburgh maybe someone from there can chime in.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Just calling you out on your false claims.

I quoted you and called you out the first time. That one was just reiteration.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Your obviously trolling here for the sake of it, im out of troll feed and I don't need to pad my post count with useless conversations like this so this is my last response to you.

The End.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I can troll quite well but this isn't trolling. And I don't get heated up over trivial things like this.

I live in South Central PA and spent a good deal of time working in and around Baltimore, so I know how it can be. I also know going to Ocean City doesn't make you knowledgeable on snowfall in Maryland's largest city.

And being fine on all season tires doesn't mean you're a superior driver or that snow tires are useless. It only means you're either extremely lucky or exaggerating.

You're probably one of those people who decries four wheel drive as well.

·
Registered
611 Posts
As someone who has lived in Baltimore County for 24 years, it snows here plenty, and enough to warrant me wanting better traction in the winter. I assume little will change in the "less snow" direction when I move to Pittsburgh. Besides, aren't winter tires also better than all-seasons in the winter due to the temperature effects on the rubber

Im not questioning that it doesn't snow down there plenty, and I don't know if they take care of the roads(plow/salt) out where your at but the amount of times it gets deep enough for snow tires to be useful over all-seasons(I don't know how well they work as far as driving and stopping on ice is concerned)to how much they cost+extra rims/sensors, how long they last(both on the car and drying out from sitting during the other/mild seasons) just, to me, doesn't sway me enough to recommend them. Your results may vary.
I can't comment on the temp effects and stuff on the tires but there are others here who may be able to answer your question on that.

When I first moved i was considering getting snow tires because I wasn't t sure the focus would handle the snow up here. Im glad I didn't buy a set.
Driving and stopping sensibly my cooper rs3s have had no issue handling the snow and ice I've been dealing with since December up here, everything from a coating to freezing rain to a few inches of snow.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Trust me I have an SUV with lockable 4WD and all seasons most of the time and I still refuse to drive on them in the winter. It makes a huge difference.

I don't have snow tires for the Focus only because it gets garaged and the SUV with winters comes out.

The first time the tires keep me out of a guardrail or from nailing a vehicle head-on is when they'll have more than paid for themselves. It only takes one good hit to total your car...or kill you or someone else.

And really every day I go out and not even come close to an accident is another day they've proved their worth.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts