Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the Michelin Pilot Sport 3's my Ti came with aren't going to cut it with Wisconsin winters so I ordered me a full set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS (235/40ZR -18) on some decent reviews and a friend's recommendation (he swears by them on his Accura). I was going to do the summer/winter tire route but everyone I know tried to talk me out of it (especially with the TPMS hassle). Should be here in a few days thanks to TireRack's fast shipping, I'll have them on the vehicle by the end of the week.

Has anyone else swapped out their summer tires? What did you get?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'd hold on to your Michelins in case you change your mind. I've used Blizzaks on my VW the last 3 winters and I couldn't imagine going without them. I'll be picking up a set of WS-70's soon to supplement my all season tires. Not having to worry about the snow plows running or not makes the peace of mind worth the cost. I'll pick up a second set of wheels and TPMS sensors to make the process easier.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I thinking I am going with the ExtremeContact DWS's as well. Indy winters can go either way really. Trying to avoid two sets of wheels.

Sure am going to miss my Explorer if/when things do get hairy, but I expect that to be the only time it's missed!

Edit: Report back with how they ride on the Focus.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have a Jeep Wrangler for serious snow days, the Focus will only be driven on light snow days, so not a big deal having all seasons. They are very good at plowing roads in WI, even the rural areas.

Going to Craigslist the Michelins, decided I'm not going to play the tire swapping game. Let someone else have that fun.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I ran the DWS's through last winter here in Germany on my Saab... they did very well IMO. I only got "stuck" once, backing into my garage, caught a little ice patch and had to rock myself out. No trouble parking in 6-8" of snow in an unplowed parking lot, fun watching all the W36 BMW's getting stuck while my 9-3 wouldn't even spin tires.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
882 Posts
What TPMS hassle? Don't foresee much of a problem with the TPMS, myself.

I'm going to put the winter tires on the 18" wheels that came with the car and buy 18" black wheels for the summer tires. Switch them out as the seasons change and you never have to worry about it.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@hotleadsingerguy - are you planning on getting new rims for the summer tires? going to get tpms modules in those tires/rims? if not you'll have that dash warning light on all the time. if you're keeping the OEM rims then you have to swap the tires on/off every season using the existing rims/tpms modules.

decided either way was too much a hassle for me, since i already have a winter-capable vehicle, getting some all-seasons on the focus and driving my wrangler when things are bad was the way to go for me.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Out with the old.. In with the new.. Granted it's a nice dry summer day but handling doesn't seem any different, and the noise level hasn't gone up any.

Won't really know know how it affects my MPG given that the vehicle is so new, but I'll be much happier with these tires in the winter than the summer tires.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I was going to get some 16" steelies with winter tires for my car and switch them twice a year. Are the pressure sensors worth getting? I see they're almost $90 each on fordparts.com... :-\

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
a complete set of 4 is like $180 or so from tirerack.com, and they will install them for you if you buy the sensors, tires and rims from them. in the end i already have two capable 4wd vehicles, if the snow here is too much for the focus in the all-seasons i'll just drive one of those. no screwing around with swapping tires, extra sensors, or dashboard lights on for half the year.

pic for those who were curious (not that it's a big deal).. don't understand why the site doesn't auto-rotate pictures.. sigh..

·
Registered
647 Posts
Keep us updated as far as noise levels and MPGs are concerned. The PS3s are incredibly noisy in my opinion...I'd switch out just for the quieter ride alone.

Tony

·
Registered
296 Posts
The PS3s are incredibly noisy in my opinion...I'd switch out just for the quieter ride alone.
It's all relative. I'm coming from a Civic rolling OEM Bridgestone Potenza's, so I'm looking forward to a little peace and quiet from the "incredibly noisy" PS3s.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well did my daily commute into work (some highway followed by some city). I can't say they are any noiseier than the PS3's or necessarily any less. Mind you I only drove the car for 4 days before I swapped the tires out. So I'd say they are even. Handling seems just fine. Don't think I'm feeling any more or less bumps in the road either.

For me the drive in this car is far quieter and easier than either of my trucks. To be honest I find this ride to be quieter and more comfortable than my last car, a Pontiac Solstice, which was basically a go-kart. So for me I'd definitely say the tire swap was a win and I'm sure I'll be much happier when we get some snow and I'm not sliding all over.

MPG, well my MPG's have been going up since I bought the vehicle. I guess I'll never know a huge before and after difference because I didn't drive long enough on the PS3s. Only about 250mi on it so far. Someone did tell me I could expect 1-2 mpg worse with all-season tires but I find that number a little hard to believe. I bought this vehicle to get something in the low-to-mid 30's, double what either of my trucks can get, anything above that is just gravy.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Keep us updated as far as noise levels and MPGs are concerned. The PS3s are incredibly noisy in my opinion...I'd switch out just for the quieter ride alone.

Tony
That's funny, because I think the PS3s are suprisingly quiet for a high performance summer tire. I have 5,000 miles on them and they have kept quiet.

·
Registered
296 Posts
On a related note, I'm shopping for winter tires for my Ti hatch. It's appalling to me that I can order a set of wheels and tires from TireRack with mounting and TPMS, pay HST, import duties, and $300 shipping, and still come out several hundred dollars cheaper than buying the exact same setup in Canada.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i spend some time in canada. was shocked at the prices (even accounting for the currency exchange) north of the border.. and your prices on cell phones, cable and broadband. ouch! we don't have it great here, but i'll never complain compared to what you're paying.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm interested to see how this tires do for you. I read a lot of reviews that said there was some balance issues with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS at one point. I guess there was a bad production run or something.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I drove my Contour SVT with the Summer only tires on it 12 years. snow or not. Never had an issue.
I guess i just didn't worry about the snow.
i grew up driving a rear wheel drive car with near bald tires.. So driving a front wheel drive anything, with tread still actually on the tires was a piece of cake... [woot]

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
i spend some time in canada. was shocked at the prices (even accounting for the currency exchange) north of the border.. and your prices on cell phones, cable and broadband. ouch! we don't have it great here, but i'll never complain compared to what you're paying.
National Health Care costs money... lol, and here in the u.s. we don't have that

1 - 20 of 20 Posts