Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires in 215/45/17 for my 2010 SES. Anyone have experience with these? Everyone on tirerack seems to like them.

I am getting them locally installed for $615 out the door. Is that a decent price?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Google them and you can see what they sell for on line less installation plus read some reviews. Price sounds about right with installation including tax

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i have dw's for summer and rain only, their amazing...one of the customers that comes into my job has the dws and he said they get a little noisey after a while but they ride great

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I have DWS on my Mazda6. They are probably the best "true" all season tire that you can buy that have some snow grip and still maintain decent pavement manners. By no means are they as good as a dedicated snow tire in ice and snow, they're just better than any other all season in those conditions.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I see you live in Sac...if your car never sees the snow, I wouldn't waste my time with the DWS. The Sumitomo AS P01 would be a better choice IMO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see you live in Sac...if your car never sees the snow, I wouldn't waste my time with the DWS. The Sumitomo AS P01 would be a better choice IMO
Are they loud? and how long do you think they would last? I really only go to the snow once or twice a year, just the DWS model got better reviews, slightly cheaper and they said they are quiet.

The stock tires have a treadwear of like 400 something and these sumitomos are like 360 so they should last less time.

Spending less money would be nice...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
avengence, hit up Miles @ tirerack & ask him what your looking for=weather/performance wise. By the way I've had the older style of conti's extremecontac's & they worked great for me in snow & icey condions, & now I have the new DWS's. I've got about 40,000 miles out of the older style extremecontac's, by the way.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Are they loud? and how long do you think they would last? I really only go to the snow once or twice a year, just the DWS model got better reviews, slightly cheaper and they said they are quiet.

The stock tires have a treadwear of like 400 something and these sumitomos are like 360 so they should last less time.

Spending less money would be nice...
They're not loud at all. And they are rated for 45,000 miles

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I'm on my second set of 205/50/17 DWSs on my 05 ST (total of about 70k miles). They are superb in the wet, excellent on dry roads, and passable in light snow. They do get louder toward the end of their 40k life. However, as Geezer says, they are merely the best all- seasons in "winter" conditions. There is no comparison between DWSs, and my Michelin x-ice Xi2s in real winter conditions.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts

You should not use the tread wear ratings to compare tires from different companies. There are too many variables and the testing is not set up to properly allow such comparisons.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would really like to be in the 400-500 range for tires installed out the door price. Not sure what a good set in that price range would be...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
Local Discount tire store perhap's!

I would really like to be in the 400-500 range for tires installed out the door price. Not sure what a good set in that price range would be...
Look's like I'd be hitting up my local Discount tire store then. They do price match.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yea, thats where im going (americas tire) and they said they wouldnt price match tire racks prices because of shipping. They do price match just their price+shipping.

Only tires I can find are the DWS that are good for dry and wet and last a while and arent too loud. Havent seen a bad review for them yet...

·
Registered
338 Posts
Anyone have Kumho Ecsta 4X KU22?
These are what I will likely buy. Well rated, no snow reviews yet but Kumho claims improved light snow handling over the previous Ecsta models. Less pricey than the DWS as well..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks like I am getting the Kuhmo 4X Ku22's installed tomorrow. Something like 505 out the door after the rebates. Guess thats not too bad.

·
Registered
157 Posts
These are the tires I'm getting ready to buy from my local Tire Barn for $592.53 OTD with lifetime road hazard, replacement, balance, alignment. I shopped around for a few weeks though. I've heard nothing but great things about em.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I am looking at the Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires in 215/45/17 for my 2010 SES. Anyone have experience with these? Everyone on tirerack seems to like them.

I am getting them locally installed for $615 out the door. Is that a decent price?
I love them for my 2005 Saab 92x AWD.

I bought a new set just a few weeks ago (16") for approximately $450.00 out the door after rebate.

Bought them at my Ford dealer that has a 100.00 rebate until the end of the month. They price matched Tire Rack. Plus it added 25.00 to my owner advantage account.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts