Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i was wondering how long your tires have lasted because im at 19k and my tires are way past the wear line :/
Also, I'm obviously going to be buying new tires but i have a bent rim that might need to be replaced before i get these tires, I'm wondering if i need a new rim or if i can just throw a new pair of tires on it. ( the bent rim does leak and i find myself filling it up every two weeks.)[thankyou]
and also if you guys have any good cheap tires you've gotten before let me know thanks.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
yeah if its leaking air then it'd be best to change it. if you put those brand new tires on a bent wheel who knows what could happen to that tire you just bought... kno?

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Your tire wear is pretty normal for tires that came on a car from the factory. They are usually some of the cheapest tires that the manufacturer could find and they don't last long.

I am just going to throw this out there, but I have gotten all my replacement tires from a local salvage yard. They obviously are all used and you rarely can find a full set but I only have to pay $25 per tire. There is a certain amount of risk buying tires that have been in an accident but if you are careful and are willing to put the time into getting them, you can find some pretty good deals there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats an interesting idea going to get them there but i am trying to get new ones, cause they are hard to trust.

and if i buy a new rim i wonder if its worth it to get a new set instead?

·
Meh.
10,609 Posts
Thats an interesting idea going to get them there but i am trying to get new ones, cause they are hard to trust.

and if i buy a new rim i wonder if its worth it to get a new set instead?
Yeah, I don't feel getting tires from a salvage yard ever really has much of a safety issue, but sometimes you do get slow leaks and other issues so it is more work than just buying new.

As for getting a whole set, if you want to upgrade your rims, go for it. Once again, if you only want to get a replacement rim, try a salvage yard to see if they have any. However, if you would rather buy a new rim, my opinion would be to just get a whole new set. They will look better, and depending on what you get, they may not cost a whole lot more than one new replacement rim.

·
Boosted HB.
1,698 Posts
get a new wheel... then buy new tires

·
Registered
76 Posts
My stock Hankooks also wore out within 20k miles, so needless to say i wasn't going to replace them with another set of the same. I went with Bridgestone Pontezas from tirerack. The tires were delivered the day after I placed the order and the grand total came to about $350 including shipping. I mounted them myself at work and have been very please with the tires so far. Far grippier than the stock tires in dry and wet conditions.

For cheap tires, as someone suggested you could try used tires. Alternately, PepBoys tends to have good deals on tires(buy 3 installed, get the 4th free, etc..)

As for your bent wheel, I'll assume we are talking about steel wheels? It shold be that hard to find another steelie.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have an SES, probably not a steel rim. Probably an alloy. There is a place in the Cleveland area that sells replacement rims, OEM. Had to get one for my old Probe that I had. I'm sure there is a place in CA that does OEM rims that are reconditioned.

·
Focal Distortion
2,332 Posts
eBay!

·
Registered
578 Posts
well the pirelli P6 that came on mine were worn out after 30k. so i replaced them with general altimax hp. these i got maybe 35k out of. now i am on continental extreme contact dws and im looking to get about the same i think. but this time i will be contacting customer care. these tires for our cars are too expensive to not last the advertised milage of 40-50k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts