Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done replacing valves after a timing belt broke on me on my way to work a couple weeks again. Got everything put back together now and runs great. Just a quick question which might be a stupid question but is it normal to see the lines in these types of timing belts after a new one is installed? Did I do something wrong installing it? Any help will be awesome. Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Tooth rocking to dust some of the color off the belt............perfectly normal. Or flat tensioner rubbing in more dirt at the firmest part of belt, again, normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I was just worried a little bit about it. I’ve never used a colored belt before and it was the best I could find since the last person put the cheapest one in it that broke at only 20000 miles. Thanks so
Much.

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Is it just me or does the gears not look right? They look offset and the intake cam gear looks like it worn the teeth down becuase it looks like the teeth are taller at the block side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no clue. All I know is when I bought the car that’s what they looked like. If it not normal than idk what I should do. I need my car to drive to work. If this isn’t good then I reallly don’t know what to do? And idk why the teeth on the intake sprocket are like that. They were like that when I bought the car 2 years ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just went and looked at the intake gear and it appears to be made that way sonidk. But stupid me the exhaust gear is on backwards. I’ll have to get it back to tdc and put the timing tools in to get it switched back around the right way. Glad I haven’t drove it anywhere yet. Can’t believe I didn’t notice this. Oh well. I’ll get it corrected and be ready to go

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Glad you caught it.

Are the intake cam gears really that worn or is it an optical illusion from the picture?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at it too cause it looked weird when I took it off. It doesn’t appear to be work it appears it was made like that. All of the grooves that are notched in it are completely smooth . If it was rubbing it wouldn’t look that clean. So I don’t know if I need to try to find a new Factory intake cam or not now. I done have the money to get the vct delete and a tune right now.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Maybe it's an aftermarket cam gear and it's like that to prevent the belt from walking off? That's my best guess, not sure how a "rubber" belt could wear metal down that bad.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My aluminum adjustable cam gears are worn worse that on my ZX3. Gates belt has been on for maybe 70,000 miles. Have to get a pic up later.

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
Maybe it's an aftermarket cam gear and it's like that to prevent the belt from walking off? That's my best guess, not sure how a "rubber" belt could wear metal down that bad.
Did anyone ever make an aftermarket VCT gear?

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Probably just crappy gear machine work. If wear the belt teeth would likely bottom out on groove yet not be tight on top of tooth. Somebody could pic the gear end on with belt still on it and tell easy.

Aluminum gears wear like lightning compared to steel ones, which really don't unless left running longterm with no covers, My SOHC wore that gear pretty bad, it had no covers on it at all. A rubber belt CAN wear the pulley teeth quite a bit if you are in a dusty climate.

·
Registered
16,036 Posts
Probably just crappy gear machine work. If wear the belt teeth would likely bottom out on groove yet not be tight on top of tooth. Somebody could pic the gear end on with belt still on it and tell easy.

Aluminum gears wear like lightning compared to steel ones, which really don't unless left running longterm with no covers, My SOHC wore that gear pretty bad, it had no covers on it at all. A rubber belt CAN wear the pulley teeth quite a bit if you are in a dusty climate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts