Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure when this came out, recently is my guess as I haven't seen it offered before. But Gates makes a timing belt idler similar to the one offered by Gold Coast Automotive and the ones I made. But it costs less.
One downside is it's a bit heavier because it's made of Steel vs Aluminum. It's also a bit wider, so it probably won't be a direct bolt in and work part ... but neither is the GC idler.
I'm pretty sure you'll have to play with spacers to get it centered correctly but for the savings I think it's worth it.
You'll still have to grind the engine plate to clearance for the added circumference though.

It's a Gates PN T42011 --> http://www.gatespowerpro.com/Comerg...t/gates&returnTarget=_top&gotoAdvSearch=false

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
You won't be cracking the plastic outer casing off of that one............

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
You say the GC is not a "direct bolt in and work part ... but neither is the GC idler."

Interesting as I installed mine as I would have installed the factory pulley and works perfect. I did not have to modify anything. Did I miss something in my installation? been running for over a year now with it and no problems.

·
Registered
17,490 Posts
Looking deeper has numbers T42001, 03, and 04 all as steel rollers with no plastic and no flanges but close to identical size as the top OEM idler. They do NOT have the low crown centering feature of the plastic ones though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts