Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after a long time creeping around I'm finally in the good with myself to post openly. I'd like to say first off to everyone that came to the Fest back in August, you made work worth being at all night. I'm a shift manager at the McDonald's off of I-64 in Morehead, so naturally I creeped all evening.[dunno]

That said, I recently came into possession of a red 2002 SVT. 132k on the clock and the guy wanted 4100 on the road. Everything was gravy during the test drive, and any small issues aside, that was a great price in my opinion for the condition it's in. Plus the red matches my G8, soooo.... [grinking]

A few week into ownership, I've started to get time to thoroughly go over the car top to bottom to make sure that I'll be driving it for years to come. Small things like end-links needing to be replaced, a ball joint and bearing making some minor noise, and valve cover gasket sets are really all the issues I've seen that need to be addressed.

Going from that there are two issues that still have me puzzled. First is the matter is that the shifter action is loud. I know it's meant to be notchy, and I don't mind the feel, it's just how audible it is makes me wonder if there's something not quite right. It looks like the bushing in my counterweight may be toast, but I haven't had the chance to get into it and pull it apart to double check. Any input here would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I'm kinda just over-thinking the whole thing.

Lastly is braking. I love driving the back roads here in the boonies, but the amount of stopping power I have now makes me think twice about how I drive. Along with that, driving in the rain leaves me relying more upon engine braking than I ever would've thought necessary. For those with experience, is this something I can fix by upgrading to the usual performance pads (I've always used Hawks before) from OEM, or should I look into bigger brakes overall?

Thanks in advance, and you guys have an excellent community. :)

·
FF Affiliate
31,165 Posts
If your having braking issues with the SVT then there is something wrong , I would find a dirt or sandy road and make sure you have braking on all 4 wheels , then look further from there

Mu SVT is quick and can hit some high speeds in the 1/4 and track and i can plant you face in the windshield and not slide the wheels

Tom

·
Registered
243 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum

second if you're counter weight is a problem there is an easy solution I haven't tried yet. Remove it. here is a post about removing the counter weight, its supposed to make the svt shift easier.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89200

Third, I don't know why you're linkage is loud that doesn't sound normal and might be an issue, but I have no advice to offer for that, and

Fourth, Tom is right, svt brakes are grrrreat for stock set up, you should check your shizznit if your breaks suck.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought the linkage may be misaligned, but I read elsewhere that people could audibly hear their shift actions echoing off walls, so I didn't know where to go from there. I considered removing the counterweight to see if it was just a bushing in it, but spent the day cleaning oil from my plugs and ordering my replacement parts instead. Tomorrow will see the counterweight out.

The braking issue didn't seem typical, but I also figured it may just be me coming from one car to another and being too expecting. I'm about to take Tom's advice and see if I can't pinpoint the issue. It doesn't affect me when I'm commuting, but the first time I gave her the goods it seriously left me with that empty weightless feeling in my stomach when I wasn't slowing down like I planned.

·
Registered
243 Posts
well if its the linkage at the shifter that is messed up I'd suggest getting one of these

http://focus.c-f-m.com/shifters_4.aspx

I did the cfm shifter but what i didn't know is that the bushing i has was wearing out. I still haven't replaced it. but there is some good parts for your information. this shifters are cool because they don't just chock the stick, they actually change the raise the pivot axis point and have a longer bottom shaft, and its adjustable, everyone should have one of these....

oh yea and don't forget to change your clock for daylight savings time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84aWtseb2-4

·
Focus Fanatic
7,252 Posts
Welcome! I was at focus fest with my 02 Red SVT! Cool to see you ended up getting one!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll definitely look into getting a STS. Reading up on CFM's, it's hard to imagine everything dropping another two inches at the max considering how low it already seems to me.

Last night proved to me that all four brakes are grabbing, but upon looking everything over this morning I noticed that I do have some serious grooves on my rotors so that looks like it's added on to the parts list for Tuesday.

Now off to remove that counterweight...

·
Registered
243 Posts
i diodn't even notice the difference in height when the Cfm STS is all the way up. I keep mine high but it reduced the distance from first to seecond gear. but then again i'm 6ft 2 in tall, i don't know if someone is short they might have to keep the seat higher and might in turn make it harder to reach the shifter lol just an abstract thought

I too am off to remove the counterweight, cheapest mod ever

I got my fingers crossed that it will make my shifter go into gear easier, for some reason my shifter has always stopped before going into gear

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the said weight is out and I went for a short drive. Definitely different. Lighter, and kind of tuggy. For me it made neutral more present as I shifted through it, but it did slightly reduce the sound my transmission is making. It's still loud, and shifts inside the car are a lot more audible too.

However, I'm starting to wonder if it may just be my transmission having been through a rough life. Upon removing the counterweight, I noticed that the plastic rectangle liner for it is cracked on one side and chipped on the other. Don't exactly know what could've caused this other than abuse, as it looks like a fairly durable part with little contact.

Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
243 Posts
anyone know what the plastic round peice is that appears to do nothing? mine is very wabbly. its a little plastic round thing that is about a cm wide and tall.

anyone else have the orange plastic things sticking up where you can see the springs?

i just removed the counter weight and its lighter but i still get resistance before it pops into gear. Haven't test drove it yet . .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No idea. I didn't look around long enough after I got mine off due to fading daylight. A second drive to pick my roommate from work everything seemed to come together better. Going to keep the weight close on hand though.

·
Registered
243 Posts
yea i put the bolt back on, but I would worry too much I haven't seen anyone complain about taking it off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts