Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am new to the SVT motor but not to the Focus world. My fun car is a PWSC (w/bbk) ZX3 and to much other stuff to list.

For my SVT I want to keep it a little more friendly. So is it possible to see about 200WHP all motor with out having to goin to the lower end/top end of the motor or is that a pipe dream. On that note what is some nice basic engines mods that you guys do. I know exhuast and intake but what brands have you found work best for the money. I am not going to boost this car since I allready have one boosted ride that hardly gets driven[?|]

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
exhaust on an svt will do nothing but change the sound, you already have a 4-2-1 longtube header... the only thing you should do is a hi flow cat, or if your not worried about emissions, an orp with cheaters. you can do a udp, intake, and a tune, thats really all you should need to do to make you happy. get a sts, and thats really it.. thats just what would keep me happy with an svt if i had one, but im sure other people will chip in with more

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
You're unfortunatly going to find yourself a little stuck there. The stock SVT intake is within ~2hp of the best aftermarket (somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure that correct tho), exhaust is basically the same deal. A high flow cat will add a good chunk of dyno-proven HP throughout the RPM range, so will a good tune from one of the proven Tuners on here. A UDP is supposed to be worth, what, 3hp? You could squeeze out some more with an adjustable cam gear if you dyno tune it.

Most people with full boltons see something like 160whp I'm pretty sure. There currently arent really any big power blocks in the factory setup that aftermarket parts can remedy. To hit 200whp naturally aspirated you will likely have to do something crazy like get the head PnP'd and import a set of cams from the UK, and that will cost you about what a blower would.

Wish I had better news, maybe somebody else will chime in with a good idea.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
200 whp is possible but expensive and not possible without changing pretty much everything about the motor. If you want a nice driver with a little more power than that, just jrsc that one. One of the best things for the money you can do to a svt is a tuner.

·
Registered
352 Posts
There really isn't a whole lot you can do to squeeze more power out off this engine. Well, another 30 ponies anyhow. Ford actually did a pretty good job building this engine to the max. I know that i will get corrected if i am wrong, but you could probably get every bolt on out there and not pick up another 30 hp to make 200+ OK, there is one, but i don't consider NOS to be a bolt on. Only because you can only use it (legaly) at the track. A lot of guys do though.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You can NOT break 200whp without major work to the motor.... and stay NA.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well this one won't be seeing boost anytime soon. Intresting to learn about the intake and the exhuast. Thanks for the Info

·
Turbo!!!!
5,797 Posts
I really don't now what these guys are talking about .You want 200+whp I have just one word for you my friend. TURBONATOR!

·
Registered
351 Posts
The only input I have is to change the weight of the car so it drives like a 200hp 2700lb car, but is actually a 165whp 2400lb car. Just my thoughts. Free up torque and hp, and quicken throttle response etc.

And don't quote me on the weights, it was just an example.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow.....I just happen to come across this thread and I was going to do a "Cat-Back", but not if it's not going to give me any gain.....why waste my money? The only thing I have on my SVT right now is an ORP and SRI. I was going to do adj cams and UDP. According to this though, that may not even be worh it. I was curious about the "TUNE"......what kind of gains can I get out of that? Any replies greatly appreciated...................

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
scargo said:
Wow.....I just happen to come across this thread and I was going to do a "Cat-Back", but not if it's not going to give me any gain.....why waste my money? The only thing I have on my SVT right now is an ORP and SRI. I was going to do adj cams and UDP. According to this though, that may not even be worh it. I was curious about the "TUNE"......what kind of gains can I get out of that? Any replies greatly appreciated...................
I agree sounds like the best gain is just to get a Tune and call it a day

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That all being said, given the chance to do it again I'd take the sound from my SRI over the sound from the same money in audio equipment. That's probably just me tho.

My bolt ons (SD coilpack/livewires, FS SRI, FC TB, FR STS, Magnaflow catback, VF mount) were all done before I got the car by the previous owner. Given the chance to do it myself, I might keep the TB (pricey as hell but I love the sensativity), definityly the STS and the tranny mount, and probably the SRI. Magnaflow was a waste, rather spend that money on an RT cat and actually see gains. Coil pack and wires were not worth what he spent, but I can gap my plugs to .060 and since I have I've seen an improvement in gas mileage. I cant give you a before and after impression of the mods, for obvious reasons, but they are worth something.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Stock dynos are kinda hard to find, most SVT's seem to baseline around 145-150whp. There was a back-to-back comparo dyno I saw posted a while back somewhere between ZED0, FS tune and Tom's tune. They were real close, the gain is more in civility than wheel hp.

I did find a recent dyno of an SVT with SRI and Tom's tune loaded. 152whp. I noted the linearity of the HP curve, I wonder where Tom puts the DSI switchover, cause it looks damn smooth.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=94563&highlight=tune+dyno

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What is the Stock DSI switch over?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
RLA6 is 6k, ZED0 (stock 2004) is 5k and YRF0 (TSB flash) I think is 5k as well, tho I could be mistaken about the latter.

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
also, with a good tune, you will be able to completely turn off the traction control(if equipped) with the button, rather than pulling the fuse(which also knocks out the abs too)

i reccommend doing the orp, intake is optional, id just throw a k&n in the stock box and call it a day, underdrive pully, and then a tune. dont do the tune first though, cauz they can tune for whatever mods you have done to it.

·
Gan-San!
2,769 Posts
Wonder if Tom will chime in? I'm sure he can answer your questions with examples and results from his massive experience. You should shoot him a PM about his tune to find out what's going on there. His screen name is "1turbofocus"

·
Registered
76 Posts
if you have the money dont spend your money on bolt on just save and get jrsc with stock pulley good for 200 whp @ 5psi.

you can get it for $2400 shipped IIRC.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
focus_wrc said:
if you have the money dont spend your money on bolt on just save and get jrsc with stock pulley good for 200 whp @ 5psi.

you can get it for $2400 shipped IIRC.

I have a ZX3 with a PWSC and MSS BBK. What I want is something that is not boosted. Let's just say I have learned that boosted car are fun but require more maintance and tned to break more (non-factory boosted cars) in turn making down time that my daily drive (Including in the snow) would not be very good

1 - 20 of 20 Posts