RESOLVED: New SVT owner--acceleration/hesitation issues
Replaced cracked ignition coil with BWD coil with lifetime warranty from O'Reilly's
Yesterday, I traded in my '02 wagon SE for an '02 sonic blue SVTF. I love the car, but after driving it hard today (gotta have some fun with the new power), I now have a series of hesitations upon hard acceleration.
I will try to be descriptive but not too wordy.
'02 SVT Focus, 89k miles, 100% stock
Do not know if timing belt has been replaced
- intermittent loss of power delivery and rpm (series of hesitations/"sputtering"/"bucking")
- problem occurs only during hard acceleration (>75% throttle) in gears 2-3-4 between 3000-6000 rpm
- after a day, said problem occurred throughout entire rpm range and all gears when load was presented to engine and engine/mechanical systems were ambient temperature ("cold-start")
- problem slightly improved upon systems reaching operating temperature (problem constrained to original scenarios listed above in black)
how/when it started
- started after hard cornering/accelerating through some twistys on back roads
- highest speed achieved was roughly 80 mph.
- had joy ride with about an 1/8th tank of gas
- first happened with around 2 gallons of fuel in tank (low fuel light on) after full throttle acceleration from 30-70mph (3-4 gear, shifted @6500 rpm)
- thought it was leaning out due to low fuel level and increased acceleration forces causing fuel to slosh away from fuel pump pickup
- filled tank with 93 octane, problem still exists
I figure it could be
I just bought this car yesterday and love driving it, but don't have time to fix it (full-time mechanical engineering student). I'm wondering if anyone here has experienced similar problems so I have a general idea what to expect when I take it to my mechanic.