Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm glad I found this site. Already very helpful! I've always had a "crush" on the SVTF's and now I finally picked one up. I had a 96 VW Jetta which was the biggest POS I've ever had before. I'm mechanically inclined and that thing never stopped breaking down the entire time I owned it!! [spank] I've always been a Ford/Mazda guy but decided to try something different.. nice.. The Crank Sprocket key/keyway wearing out and time getting off was my last straw so I started looking for the focus. Got it with 149k on it, and in decent shape for 2800! Only real problem is the IMRC code and the apparent dreaded throw-out/clutch rattling noise as I accelerate. I thought it was a cv axle at first until I disengaged and the noise stopped. Picking up a set of Steeda mats to match my red interior here soon. Trying to not modify it too much but I have a parting out SVTF in the area with a supercharger on it, lol.. Definitely would like to get rid of that rattle at some point with a new clutch and throw out bearing (assuming that is what the issue is).

Question: Do regular and SVT focus' use the same fuse dash panel? Mine is missing (right above the OBD port). Not sure if I regular foci have the exact same dash part?

Also, do the foglights automatically work in conjunction with the headlights? My foglights are not working so not sure. I definitely don't see a switch anywhere.

Other ride, I have owned since I bought it new off the lot. 01 Mustang GT. I have beat the hell out of this car and it has held up like a champ! [clap] Procharger at 12#'s on stock internals, 3-core IC, 42# injectors, SCT Xcal2, BBK Long Tubes & X-pipe, Borla Catback, 3.73's, Detroit True Trac, Steeda sport springs, Steeda hardcore LCA's, Steeda Tri-Ax shifter. Trying to get it to 11.7 when the weather gets cooler. Best is 11.84 @ 118.84

Anyway - thanks for keeping what looks to be like a great board going. Not many people are into cars these days and many of the boards are dead. This one does not seem to be so!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF!

Hardly dead here, this joint is hoppin'.

Dash piece to cover the fuse box would be identical, only gauges & seats/side panels are different. (not counting things like the shifter)

Rattlin' can be lived with, some like to do it soon after installation.

IMRC needs work, and will help the performance working right.

Pull out the Light switch knob to get fogs, that's kinda hidden.

You SHOULD have a new timing belt by now, if you don't know when or if you peek & it looks original, DO IT ASAP. 100,000 is the max for those, even if a manual says 120. Safety first, as a stripped/broken one means new valves (bent).

Lots of info here, and fun as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome sailor!

Good to hear about the fuse cover

Wow - totally didn't think about pulling the light switch out. what a newb

I will dig into this IMRC thing and see what folks are doing.

And I plan on checking the timing belt out this weekend. The previous owner had it for a year and didn't check it or change it so I might do it for piece of mind anyway. I just did my Jetta's which is actually ridiculously easy to do. I remember my old Probe's being a little more involved.

I love a good board and hope to be able to contribute more soon!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
The SVT timing belt isn't a simple one, best & easiest with the special tools officially required.

Read up on it before the attempt, "Massive" one of the vendors with a section here is one good source for the tools, with CFM being another.

Full "kit" with tensioner & idler pulley is the way to go when doing it.

Cheers

P.S. - hardly the first not to find the "hidden" switch for fogs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts