Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It finally stopped raining here so I pulled out my old motorcraft spark plugs and replaced them with autolite double platinum that I gapped at .051. I also put on a set of APC 9.3 mm wires. My reason for the swap was 4 other people own the same model year (2002) I have and 2 of them had the same problem with spark plugs needing a change to stop the car from stalling. I wasn't stalling much, but it could be annoying and it upset my wife once. Now, I've suspected that my car was modded and unmodded before being traded in, but the gap on the old plugs was set for a screaming demon coil!!! The plugs were in awful shape. Now my car feels like it is running better, but it also feels like I lost some HP. I changed 1 plug and 1 wire at a time, so I know I didn't cross the wires. I used a little anti seize and lightly coated the ceramic with dielectric and put a little more on the wire terminals. Could I actually have lost a few HP from the smaller gap? What size gap are most of you using? Does the larger gap hurt the engine or just wear down the plugs faster?

·
Registered
845 Posts
With only a few engine mods, you won't gain hp with plugs. Even the screemin demon's. With a lot of mods, you probably still wouldn't notice the difference. It may idle smoother with the screemin demons, but that's all.

The coil on the screemin demon is what makes the difference. Larger wires and wider gaps won't do anything without the coil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I'm just imagining things. It does idle much smoother than before. It just doesn't seem to have the same pick up when going up a hill. Then again, it's only been a day.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
.... and your expecting a change... probly none though. A larger gap will create more resistance in the coils, and could burn them out faster. Keep the stock gap for the best results.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was just my imagination

This morning I finally had a chance to open my car up on a private road that I can fly down without getting pulled over. There is no difference in acceleration. I hit 60, 70 and 80 MPH at the same points I always do. I actually got up to 96 MPH and then it wouldn't go any faster, so that's probably my top speed (there is a slighy incline in the direction I was going) for now. My idle is a lot smoother than before and the engine sounds a little different (quieter). I thought the louder my car is the faster it would go. I'm kidding. No really, I am. Seriously.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts