1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have to say two things:
1) THIS SITE IS AWESOME
2) FOCII ARE AWESOME [:D]

This is a really stupid question, but I hope you guys can help me out.
I have had my focus for 2 days now... I have never owned a small manual-shift car before (always chev pickups on a farm) lol.

I have a 2001 ZX3 w/ Zetec & the 5 speed manual.

Anyway, for normal, "don't put stress on the engine" driving, what are good shifting RPM's?
What RPM is "too high" for "nice" driving?
What is too low?

THEN,
If I do feel like being a moron around town late at night, what can I safely push the car too?
What are safe numbers without redlining it too badly?

Thanks all!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey man, welcome to the site. As for your questions I'll give you my opinion and what I do. People are different so ...

For normal driving I like to shift at around 3K RPM. This also gives me the best gas mileage. You can go to 4-4.5K if you need to move a little quicker but dont want to push it.

You really dont want to go lower than 2K. You can, but the engine will bog down.

As for pushing the car. I find the best time to shift really is around 6K RPM's. It feels like anything after that seems to lose power.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,041 Posts
after 5300 the focus loses power on a stock motor...but if you shift around there...you shift out of the powerband...so as sylvia said, shift between 5800-6 when tearing it up...

next, pay no attention to that damn shift light that tells you to shift for your economy, i have have no problem getting around shifting at 3k-3,500.

as for stress on the motor...no matter what rpm its at, the motor hates it...if you had to spin around over 1000 times a minute...wouldn't you dislike it... but as for being worried about something happening, don't...this motor seems to like getting its ass kicked (knock on wood)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!
That's what I was looking for.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey- another one...

Is it bad to keep the engine revs at 3000 for an appreciable amount of time? I was just wondering- I know when I am going around corners at intersections and stuff I like to run it at 3k in 3rd for a while... same when I am trying to get through a parking lot in a hurry.
Is it bad on the engine to keep it up around 3 for too long??

Thanks!

·
Registered
688 Posts
actually if u shifted when the shift light came on..the engine revs around 3,000 rpms...n plus when i drive my moms pt cruiser..ahhh....it is around 3,000 too..so dont worry....if u drive the engine at a high speed for to long..like 6000..thats bad

·
Mtn. Dew
7,224 Posts
Driving "normal" I shift around 4k. I still get 30+ mpg, and this engine likes to rev. I usually shift around 6k when driving fast, but I will go higher sometimes. When the car was stock, it didn't have much power over 6k, but now it does. I still try not to take it over 6k too much though.

·
Registered
688 Posts
yea i kno the engine likes to rev but im jus sayin it isnt bad..but at 6000..that wouldnt be too too good..n ppl around would think u have a problem..that u dunno how to shift or sumtin....the way i shift tho is at 6000...n around 3500 in slow traffic...went to 7000 a couple times but didnt mean to n didnt want to..n that was like hittin the brakes

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
lol... i liked that kickn... our engine likes getting its ass kicked... thats pretty funny. but anyways one time i got to 60 mph in 2nd gear... never do that again.. didnt sound too good for the zetec. oh well

·
Registered
688 Posts
ive done that too..n ive gotten up to 100 in 3rd gear..that gear is my fav..so is 4th...that gives u a good feel...but goin 100 at 3rd gear isnt too too good..but dont worry i shifted to 4th n things were better..

·
Registered
347 Posts
I shift around 3k-3.5k but the manual says to shift from:
1st-2nd at 15
2nd-3rd at 26
3rd-4th at 35
4th-5th at 45-46
For best gas mileage. This is usually around 2600-2750rpms.

·
Registered
688 Posts
that granny shifting to me...n shift how u want..u dont have to follow all the things in the manual..if u want good gas mileage..go ahead n shift when the shift light comes on

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Basically, you want to get into top gear as quickly as possible. This means short shifting. This gives you optimum gas milage. If you are getting on it or racing someone then shift at around 6k RPM. My ATX shifts at about 66k RPM from first to second. I think about the same from 2nd to 3rd.

Hey- another one...

Is it bad to keep the engine revs at 3000 for an appreciable amount of time? I was just wondering- I know when I am going around corners at intersections and stuff I like to run it at 3k in 3rd for a while...
If it would hurt the engine to keep it at a certain RPM for an extended period of time, then you would never be able to drive it long distances on the highway. My car cruises at 3k RPM at about 80 MPH.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
FoRdFoCuZdRiVeR said:
ive done that too..n ive gotten up to 100 in 3rd gear..that gear is my fav..so is 4th...that gives u a good feel...but goin 100 at 3rd gear isnt too too good..but dont worry i shifted to 4th n things were better..
wow 100mph in 3rd gear?[confused]

·
Registered
688 Posts
yea doesnt truthful but it is...i was suprised kinda..n the rpms where highhhh but wasnt at 7,000..actually not even at 6,500..which is where i thought it be...3rd gear pulls the hardest..thats why i think i got to that number...

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,891 Posts
If you plan on doing any interstate travelling between states, the speed limit is 70 and most people are like doing 80-100 mph. Doing 70 mph is like the minimum. I travelled from Seattle, WA to Los Angelos, CA and back doing 70-75 mph for 4-5 hours at a time and that's about 3K RPM and my car is doing fine. I was surprised that I didn't burn any oil in the 100+ degree temps in mid to northern california and when I changed the oil when I got back home, it looked pretty clean. Just don't keep the RPM's at the top of your gauge(4K and above) too long and I think you should be fine.
[driving]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with the 3000 rpm rule; that's about right for city driving . I usualy shift into 3rd and 4th at about 4-4.5 when I am on an entrance ramp heading into the interestate.
100 mph in 3rd? shifing at 6000 to 7000 rpm? No wonder this car has a poor reliability rep.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
guerro said:
Basically, you want to get into top gear as quickly as possible. This means short shifting. This gives you optimum gas milage. If you are getting on it or racing someone then shift at around 6k RPM. My ATX shifts at about 66k RPM from first to second. I think about the same from 2nd to 3rd.

If it would hurt the engine to keep it at a certain RPM for an extended period of time, then you would never be able to drive it long distances on the highway. My car cruises at 3k RPM at about 80 MPH.
Mr Spellcheck shifts at 66 thousand rpm?[:p]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts