Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started today to install all that good stuff.
Finished the front. Probably will finish Saturday since I'm stuck at work tomorrow :(

Anyway, a few hours and a couple of band aids later, I removed the calipers, rotors and lines.

Installed the new rotors after washing them, as well as the Steeda SS lines and the Hawks racing pads (HP Plus or whatever the name is).

My pads were really toast. I'll take a pic of the stock pads tomorrow so that you guys can see what happened in a few laps at Laguna Seca :)

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All done. Tested yesterday and did the bedding of the rotors/pads according to the Stoptech README NOW paper [cool]

It certainly was a good experience to install the brake lines and swap out the rotors. The bleeding process went better than expected but then again, I have a EZBLEED thingy from Gunson (bought that on eBay from the UK). Just connected the bottle full of STR600 (Stoptech race brake fluid) to the master cylinder and a tire inflated at about 20PSI. Then went to each wheel and let the fluid come out.

I took a few pictures of the front stock pads which went from pretty much brand new to that state in a few laps:

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm still trying to find out a good custom licence plate name for the car and I might have something: SQEELER
Racing/Track brake pads are cool on the track but on the streets, not so much since they squeal like crazy [?|]

Oh well, I personally don't mind the noise but people around are probably thinking that I should change my brakes.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Many track pads don't stop well until warmed up, if the set you got stops OK cold the squeal is less of a worry.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many track pads don't stop well until warmed up, if the set you got stops OK cold the squeal is less of a worry.
Right, those are similar to the Pagid RS14 blackI had on the Elise, same behavior, stopped just fine when cold, super noisy. The hawks and RS14 are not racing pads per se so they do stop fine when cold.

Today the car is at the dealership for the M-FR1-FST install [cheers]
Should get it back tomorrow in the afternoon.

In a few weeks, I'll receive my ISC Coilovers and the Hankook slicks I ordered.
Then I'm done fidgeting with the car for a while, well, at least until I get the RS, next year.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Have you thought of swapping out the pads for the track vs street?

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Yup. But then I realized that I was too darn lazy to do all that hard work [boxface] so I'll go with the squealing and no complaining, hehehe!
You swap the tires don't you?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You swap the tires don't you?
I swap the wheels. I have a set for street duty and one for track duty. I even bought a impact wrench to remove/install the wheels nuts [twothumbs]

If the squealing gets too annoying, I'll buy a set of quieter pads for street driving, only front pads. Doesn't take much time swapping them although the 'springs' on the back of the pads (the ones that are on the piston side) are a pain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts