Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all!

Well I just bought a 2004 ZX3 PZEV Manual Trans. I pick it up tomorrow. I was quite impressed with this new engine. It's quick and quite. On the test drive, I was sitting at a red light and I couldnt even hear or feel the engine at idle! I felt like I was in one of those hybrids. I can't wait to pick it up. Even though my friends say its a girly color (yellow) :p

I'm glad I found these forums and hope to see you around.

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
Congratulations. What options did you get? Glad to hear you enjoy it. I'll have to disagree with the no engine sound, as I love to hear a little rumble. But to each his/her own. Welcome! [:D]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Its the "Comfort" package. Other than that it has the 2.3 and 16" wheels. So not a lot. I really wish I had the power windows/power locks. Oh and not having remote key-less entry kinda stinks. But the 5-speed is hard to find around here. I think there were only 2 in the metro-Detroit area. So I wasn't about to complain too much.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Zarelli6 said:
haha on the bright side less power options = less weight.
Yup, thats why I got mine with mostly just AC.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have had my 2004 ZX3 for a month as of today. I love it! I know what you mean about the idle. I am used to drive my big V8 Mustang so being in the Focus I felt like I mush tahve stalled or something :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the PZEV club, and FocusFanatics!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Zarelli6 said:
haha on the bright side less power options = less weight.

Originally posted by Egz
Yup, thats why I got mine with mostly just AC.

Yup, I'll second that. I got just the "Premium" package in '03 (I know they have changed all the packages around for '04). This got me 16" wheels, A/C, tilt wheel, and a center console. I would have had to go "Power Premium" to get the power windows and door locks and stuff. Didn't want it - more weight, more stuff to go wrong later on. I don't even have ABS. The "KISS" principle, Keep It Simple, Stupid.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I got the Comfort package as well. [no power options]

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Congrats on the buy! Hope you like the engine i also lack all that luxary crap, who needs power locks anyways! i consider it a weight reduction. Anywho enjoy your stay here at Focus fanatics

·
Hawaii Five-O
1,257 Posts
I need Power Locks [;)]

·
Registered
847 Posts
Power locks can be had for cheap

Yellow is teh best color! My dealer had a ton and I was looking for a Yellow one with the options I wanted, people do laugh at the color but that's why it's the best!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey, egg yolk after you installed your intake did you start to hear a ticking noise from the intake and did you notice something different about low 1-2k rpms when you are rolling in neutral and giving it a little gas?????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow ... mostly everyone got the standard package on thier car.. SAME HERE!!! haha... the only black color in the zx3 was standard. no power options. but getting off the subject... does anyone know about the limiter on the engine... do u notice that after u hit a certain point in acceleration.. the car will seem like its in neutral....i heard its called a limiter or something...=) sorry to get off track ...

·
Registered
400 Posts
Hey!!
Welcome to the forum!!.Well i am not a mechanic but i think I can answer this one.The Zetec engine I have has an electronic governor of 108 mph.I believe it may be the same in your pzev engine.I know of folks in here that bought a chip (i believe most use the diablo) to eliminate the governonr and to change a couple of settings on the cars computer unit.
Hope this info helps.
And again welcome.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, there is a speed governor, and a REV limiter. What you are experiencing is the REV limiter kicking in. At a determined engine rpm speed, fuel flow is cut off to the engine. That speed on the pzev is 6700 rpm. (I think it is 6700.....might be wrong)

May I suggest you shift earlier, as you loose speed by hitting the governor.

There is currently NO chip for the pzev motor.

Pzev

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yeah, the rev limiter its another thing i think the chip changes for modding purposes.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It does, but Diablo does not produce a chip for the PZEV motor. They only have one for the ZETEC. Companies are still under developement for the PZEV chip and should be comming soon. I hear, the PZEV chip is very persistant for it doesn't have any jacks or anything to plug anything in. So...in order to mess it with, some of them hackers out there must figure it out.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts