Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's 2002 wagon is the car in question. A couple weeks ago, I had to replace the coil. I think that the plug wires are still the original so I'm thinking that I should replace them. The car is not a sports car. It is just a to and fro campus commuter.

So Advance Auto sells four sets of wires Carquest Premium, Driveworks, NGK, and Motorcraft. So is the Carquest good enough? Should I spend more of her money and buy the NGK?

Should I even bother replacing the wires?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well first I would order them from RockAuto and save yourself some money. I would get the motorcraft because they last very long, and yes you should replace them. In my experience most Auto store brand wires don't hold up very well. NGK would probably be okay, but I personally would go OEM.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
Most car wires are simply fiberglass string conductor with carbon dust impregnated in it. The more you yank on the cables the more you separate the dust to make resistance go way up in the conductor. That and the outside covering resistance to the elements is the difference in wire quality. The wires can easily be tested with a volt meter and anything more than 5K ohms per foot length of wire is bad. The better brands tend to use more expensive outer insulation, the inside carbon string staying about the same.

If original they need changing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
RockAuto is solid, they carry a lot of Motorcraft parts for the Focus and have 5% off codes that are easy enough to find as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Rockauto has great prices, for example: Valve cover gasket (the good blue ones ) advance auto 48.00, from rockauto 5.00 plus 10.00 shipping, 15.00 total!

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
If you buy over the counter you are in the stone age and throwing away money bigtime. I used to jump back and forth between the Rock and my O'Reilly 40% discount as an employee, the Rock steadily worked past the 40% to stomp it into the ground now. Although you have to watch them, lots of times the Rock can be up to 70% off OTC prices now. Small parts can be 100%. The only reason to buy OTC is to physically look at a part, I for one never spend more than $5-$10 there ever now. But of course you have to let the car sit until parts show up and why you have more than one car now. It will save you thousands over the years.

You have to firmly know what you want too, so many complain they hate them due to incompetence at picking year/model and not a clue as to what they are looking at in the pics. Rock had to drop phone lines based on that smothering them like at the OTC stores. Can't get any work done due to all the incompetence on phone lines. Another reason why I avoid the parts stores. Went in to get some fuses the other night and had to wait for service over a previous customer/employee issue that I would have solved in seconds, BOTH guys were incompetent and I solved the issue after waiting ten minutes to let them do it. They couldn't. Typical in lemmingworld. Sometimes I just sit back and watch, it can be d-mn funny.

I've bought hundreds of parts now from the Rock and no error on one yet. Now the war is between Amazon and Rock, who can be cheapest?

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
I have a strong distaste for my closest autozone, I always ask if they have X part in store and almost always get a no; once I walked to the back of the store and found it myself. They don't want to help, plain and simple. I don't know why I bother half the time anymore, I'm finding myself on amazon more than rock auto purely because the shipping times are almost always 10x faster. It's worth the extra dollar or two for that to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"If you buy over the counter you are in the stone age and throwing away money bigtime. "

I prefer to support brick and mortar when I can. The same way that I try to avoid Chinese made products and buy locally grown food.

·
Registered
16,029 Posts
I worked for them and cannot understand why. They certainly don't care about their employees. And wasting enough money if doing it at a younger age you are talking the beginning of a decent 401K at those savings.

The store location here is only an after the fact, they have borne down hard on the industry to drive far more companies to China just so they can say that. If you knew how they conspired to drive the well known companies like Borg Warner, TRW, Dana, Fram and other well known world class companies to be losing enough to be bought out by others who claim the name but all parts are Chinese or Indochina made to hugely lower quality you likely would not. When you buy the house brand part you are actually buying from those consortiums that now sell product intermingled with others to be literally from any country besides just China. We were taught that when you bought say brakes they came from up to 25 places and to say that all were owned by the chain, but they weren't. They change those vendors like every year or so to get better prices, we stocked and restocked, one of the major jobs you did while working there. You were constantly reboxing bearings or water pumps, or whatever when that line changed, we changed up to 3-4 a month.

The problem with returns was so bad when I left that it was getting hard to find a new box holding new part that somebody had not previously installed before you. What they created by letting incompetents change part after part trying to luck out into what was really wrong. There were a hundred opened packages all over the store front shelves everyday, the stores were beginning to look really ratty due to it.

I once found a set of plug wires that had the basic parts made in Mexico and then shipped to US to final assembly then back to Mexico for something else and then back to US to claim made in America. I forget now how I researched it all but it was pretty evident the part was traveling back and forth everywhere. We had a good laugh over it.

You can pick up 500 parts there and not get one made in America, at those prices the fact the store is here makes little difference to me. Typical and memorized at the time for later use. Chain pays 49 cents for a Sylvania bulb (made in China) and then charges $4.99 for it. Most lighting was like that. And that was back in 2010.

·
Super Moderator
8,950 Posts
when I was looking at prices between amazon/rockatuo and store front places, prices varied by up to 70%
shoot, if I just got decent service at these places I'd probably buy stuff I don't want to wait on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think what amc49 said makes sense, even if it's not succinct. I work in auto R&D and if I've learned one thing in the industry, it's that most things are built to a price, not a standard of quality or a spec, and the bean counters can get pretty ruthless about it. OEMs are constantly bearing down on suppliers to reduce cost, and you can only go so far down that path before you're either demanding horrifically cheap labor, compromises in quality, or both.

Start getting into discount aftermarket parts and sheesh, a lot of that stuff may as well not even be made; it's so cheap and low-quality. Take the notoriety of aftermarket Focus motor mounts, especially the hydraulic one for example.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter's 2002 wagon is the car in question. A couple weeks ago, I had to replace the coil. I think that the plug wires are still the original so I'm thinking that I should replace them. The car is not a sports car. It is just a to and fro campus commuter.

So Advance Auto sells four sets of wires Carquest Premium, Driveworks, NGK, and Motorcraft. So is the Carquest good enough? Should I spend more of her money and buy the NGK?

Should I even bother replacing the wires?
Carquest is Advance Auto..
Carquest is the same as Motorcraft but a bit cheaper in price and they should work for the purpose you are using them.. If they haven’t been replaced I would use the Carquest brand. That will be the brand I’ll use when I replace them in my 2005 Ranger...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interestingly, with Advance Auto's online discounts, coupons and such they were less expensive than Rock Auto by about $10 on an $80 order.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts