Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently bought my '09 SES, and since I'm in California, I had no other choice but to recieve a 2.0E engine. I was just wondering the differences between the 2.0 and the 2.0E. Can I do all the same mods as a 2.0 can do? Why the lower horsepower in the 2.0E? Can that horsepower be gained back somehow?

I would love your imput. I'm real eager to do engine mods but at the same time confused about pzev.

Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I believe the lower HP was necessary to achieve the super low emission that the PZEV puts out. How the PZEV works exactly I’m not sure. I do think it has to do with the air intake that comes on the PZEV (slightly different than the normal 2.0) and possibly a milder engine tune as well. Though, I’m sure that a CAI and an engine tune (not to mention an exhaust system) would unlock the same amount of HP in a PZEV2.0 Dtech, just as it would on a NON-PZEV 2.0 DTech. Although I don’t believe that no one currently offers an ECU tune for the 08-09 focus just yet, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
the duratec information thread in my signature has the answered to the questions you seek.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This might be an old post but I will explain. The 2.0E is the PZEV engine in California. The HP is actually 132hp due to the emission regulations they did on the engine. The HP on the non PZEV is 140hp. The differences start from a charcoal canister that acts like the air filter. Which should last the life of the engine. The engine warms up faster than usual to allow more efficient burning of the gasoline, so it won't run rich for too long at starts. It is equipped with a more efficient catalytic converter, to allow the complete burn if any crude gases. Also, the pulse width on the injectors are narrower to lesson exhaust emissions. Those are the differences I found through my research. I also wanted to find out differences between the two.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the '08-'11 duratec performance section, added since this thread was made.

More differences than mentioned in the last post, the charcoal in the air filter box is only a small part of the setup there to catch evap. while sitting.

Adds a steel gas tank to prevent evap emissions from there.

Injectors are different for better fuel atomization (more holes).

Adds an air pump to the exh. to burn fuel vapors that make it through the engine when cold and warm up the CAT faster.

Adds a secondary CAT to the system.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Old post but I have a question and insight

My focus is a PZEV car with the stupid non-serviceable air filter, but I do not have a metal fuel tank. Was the metal fuel tank CA only?

Also I saw HP figures at 136hp v 140hp for the 2008 model year, not that it matters really. I'm sure it changes depending who you ask but that was old stuff I pulled from Ford when I bought my car

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Can't positively answer, could have an oddball there.

PA wasn't a CA emissions or "green" state when that was sold AFAIK, so it wouldn't have to meet PZEV standards. Under hood emissions sticker might tell you more, though those are hard to decipher (they don't say "PZEV" or not that simply).

I don't think it can meet the evap. emissions with a plastic tank, but there could be new tech. for an inside sealant layer I haven't heard about yet in use.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Can't positively answer, could have an oddball there.

PA wasn't a CA emissions or "green" state when that was sold AFAIK, so it wouldn't have to meet PZEV standards. Under hood emissions sticker might tell you more, though those are hard to decipher (they don't say "PZEV" or not that simply).

I don't think it can meet the evap. emissions with a plastic tank, but there could be new tech. for an inside sealant layer I haven't heard about yet in use.
Yeah I don't know, I know its certainly got the non-serviceable, I mean lifetime, air filter

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Got the air pump (piping to the exh. manifold to recognize) as well?

You'll see plumbing leading to a pipe at the top of the exh. by the cyl. head if it does.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Got the air pump (piping to the exh. manifold to recognize) as well?

You'll see plumbing leading to a pipe at the top of the exh. by the cyl. head if it does.
I'll have to check on that but I don't think I've ever seen it. I should try and pull it into the shop tonight

·
Registered
727 Posts
I thought the steel tank was the only tank used on the duratecs? Looking at part sites, i am only seeing metal as oe replacements. Are you sure yours is plastic?
Relatively? lol It might be painted metal but I haven't tapped on it yet, I will next time I put it up in the air

1 - 13 of 13 Posts