Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i am a new svt owner... I have purchased a 2002 Focus SVT that had roughly 38K miles on it... from what i have checked the car is in perfect condition... save one minor problem.. i replaced the Pass. side CV axle because of wear ( i think road debris gouged the boot). I am getting ready to flush the tranny and put in royal purple synchromax (thanks to suggestions on here!) and i have looked over my dsi clip and it is the original but in good condition. My question is.... is there any other preventative maintenence i should look into? Any other little things to fix before, that could save me heartache in the end?? I was thinking of swapping the wheel bearings in the front just to be on the safe side and replacing that dsi clip while is it still working for the billet one. Also how much will Toms Tune affect my gas mileage? Any help would be great you guys have already saved me at least 500 dollars so far. Ben

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hey Ben ...welcome to FF...
If you've already replaced the tranny fluid can I assume youve already swappped to synthetic oil ?? I run 20-50Mobil,not that it really matters imho once you get into syn. The dsi/clip replace would be a good Idea I did both of mine as soon as it was available. check the intake boots while your in there...
Tom's tune as in Predator?? Igot it , on my nonturbo'd one, really woke the engine up...short of a power adder,it's the best,worth the drive....
Larry

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
WELCOME!

I can see you're good as using the search button!

I bought Wayne's (HIA) tune, and my gas milage was improved actually. I'm sure it's the same with Toms as well. You'll be happy with any tune. Watch the clutch, I've had mine replaced once (TSB) at 11k and now I'm at 35k and it's doing the same things again. Might wanna save yourself a long running headache if your car is having clutch issues, by buying an aftermarket one. After that basic maintance is really all that is nessicary. Might wanna put a K&N filter in it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
give the guy a break, it's his 1st post...but ditto on the clutch...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
....fine...[B)]

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
hold off on the bearings til you hear a noise, they aren't cheap, and also aren't a 'maintenance' item.

At 38k, I definately suggest a new fuel filter, and check your brake pads. A tune is a good idea, along with maybe a short shifter and rear engine mount. Then have fun with it for a while before adding any mods, until you get to where you know what you want to improve on it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
^^Is the fuel filter hard to replace or should I take it somewhere to have it done? Mine 02 has 36k on it. and BTW where would you pick up a billet DSI clip?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think Central Florida Motorsports has them.
But as Scott said, a tune, rear engine mount and a STS would be the best upgrades for now.

I have Toms tune as well and my gas milage did not go down at all and the car runs much nicer, especially in colder weather.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
some people say you gain a couple mpg with a good tune. i get 29 consistently with mixed hwy/city driving.

the fuel filter is not hard to replace you can do it yourself.

and yes good job with that search function! other people need to follow your example! [thumb]

·
Registered
511 Posts
The fuel filter is very easy to change. Check out the Fuel Filter Replacement How-to from myfordfocus.com. The filter is located under the car in front of the passenger side rear tire.

Oh, and be sure to have a long socket wrench extension and 8mm socket (that will save you the trouble of leaving you car jacked up in your house while you haul ass to the parts store).

And [welcome]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as far as mods i have already done some i added the steeda sri to free up the breathing as well as magnaflow exhaust (although i think the exhaust didn't really do anything except look pretty...ha ha) i have my doubts about that off road exhaust pipe... dont think that would add much either.... as for as the sts... shifting feels pretty short as is.. despite the really tall second gear! as for the clutch if it goes out (inevitably) it will be replaced with aftermarket as well as a new flywheel... two questions though? Ive read that you can put 18" rims on this car with 215/40/r18 tires... is this correct? is there any way to squeeze 19" rims in there? also i have read that other people experienced a rather noisy 1-2 shift i noticed it and wondered if there was anyway to correct it or quiet it a little or is it just a perk of the car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
finally? 20w-50? is that a little thick for this car since it runs valve bucket type heads? i have syn 10w-30 right now but its due so i dont mind trying some new stuff......

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would not stray too far from the recommended 5w30. The oil might be to thick to get were it needs to go.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
..Ben,- Yes is is alttle thick, but I'm VERY hard on my toys in the summer,track them sometimes. In the winter up here in Ohio I rarely take the Turbo'd 04 out, drive the 03 when necessary but drop to 0/5/10-30.
You being in Florida don't have that issue,on the contrary, the temps get extremely hot,and could take advantage of the thicker viscosoty, AND a 180* thermostat,to help control eng temps.
IMHO the manufacturers drop to 5--30 to improve mpg,and starting in winter with regular petroleum oils. With Synthetics,flow is minimumly impacted.

18" rims & 205-215/35 /18 is what I saw people utilizing. But at that rubber thickness chuckholes,raised bridge sections,and roadseams reek havoc and bend rims. I run 215/40/17 Centerlines sometimes and have bent 2,gets expensive....

·
Registered
511 Posts
I was under the impression that 5w30 and 10w30 behave the same when hot, hence the 30 part.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Artood2s said:
I was under the impression that 5w30 and 10w30 behave the same when hot, hence the 30 part.
Do you run petroleum or synthetic, and why...

·
Registered
511 Posts
RP 5w30, because I live in Miami and synthetic oil is more resistant to breakdown.

Am I wrong about the 30 part????

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
just put in that synchromax by royal purple... totally noticed the smoother shifting and the noise reduction from harder shifts... love that stuff... freaked me out though didnt really expect it to be purple though...hah.. hence the name i guess! i went with a full synth. 10w-30 (simply because its the same stuff i use in my truck and well im cheap) seems to be running a little smoother i think they had a petro version 5w-30 in that thing it seemed to reduce the ticking of the valves and make em a little quieter..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts