Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I've been a collector for many years, primarily a Ford guy. In face, I drove a 58 Edsel for over 20 years, until about 6 years ago. I just got my first Focus, a 2000 ZX3 that was wrecked and I'm trying to complete putting it together to make my 57 mile-each-way commute and cut my gas cost by 50% over my Expedition.

I have the car mostly back together. It did run recently, I drove it into the garage before I removed the dashboard to replace the windshield and passenger side airbag. Now the fuel pump, lights, horn, radio, etc. work for I seem to be having problems resetting the PATS system. Turning the key to start, I get nothing at all from the starter. I'm hoping to find a solution without trailering the car to a dealer to have it reset.

I mainly joined to try to resolve this problem & get it on the road, but plan to stick around while I have the car for other tips, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
[welcome] to FF, mtype! I'm sure almost anything would improve your mpg over an Expedition!
Is this a manual or an automatic transmission? If it's manual, you might check the clutch safety lock-out switch. As I'm sure you know, automatics have a similar safety switch to insure that the transmission is in P or N. Otherwise, I would check any fuses and relays and grounds for the starter system. I can't think of any reason why removing the dash would affect the PATS system.
Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[welcome] to FF, mtype! I'm sure almost anything would improve your mpg over an Expedition!
Is this a manual or an automatic transmission? If it's manual, you might check the clutch safety lock-out switch. As I'm sure you know, automatics have a similar safety switch to insure that the transmission is in P or N. Otherwise, I would check any fuses and relays and grounds for the starter system. I can't think of any reason why removing the dash would affect the PATS system.
Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress
C'mon, I average about 16 MPG in the Expedition; that's not so bad for a full-sized vehicle!

The Focus is a stick. When I got it, I was able to start it and drive it into the garage, so the clutch switch is OK. I had it out, but reinstalled it. I do have continuity in all the fuses, both in the fuse box and the power distribution box.

·
Old Phart
44,596 Posts
Welcome!

Post in the General Tech. Chat area to get more help, this section is just a social "Hello" area so there isn't as much traffic.

PATS doesn't affect cranking, so the cranking problem lies elsewhere. Clutch safety switch is a common cause, paper clip in the connector can do a temp bypass to test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts