Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2012 Focus SE in Blue Candy Metallic. Love it so far. I have a couple of observations/questions.

The rear wheel wells have a cloth type of material lining them instead of the typical plastic. What's the purpose of that and won't it tend to hold moisture and dirt a lot more?

The salesman told me that the first oil change isn't needed until around 5000 miles. I always went by the rule to change after the first 500 miles to flush any metal from the manufacturing/break in process. Is this not needed anymore because advances in manufacturing? Any opinions on that?

Also, what's the thought on using synthetic oil after the break in period (5000 miles)?

I'll try to post a picture. I hope to get some nice alloy's for summer driving. I'll use the stock steels for winter tires. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Sound deadening. This car is amazingly quiet and that's a major part of it. I've noticed that dirt and moisture aren't really an issue that I've been able to tell in those wheel wells.

No dealerships that I've dealt with have never recommended the 500-1000mi. oil change. That said it certainly can't hurt to do it anyway.

Synthetic is always great if you can afford it, so go for it!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Just bought a 2012 Focus SE in Blue Candy Metallic. Love it so far. I have a couple of observations/questions.

The rear wheel wells have a cloth type of material lining them instead of the typical plastic. What's the purpose of that and won't it tend to hold moisture and dirt a lot more?

The salesman told me that the first oil change isn't needed until around 5000 miles. I always went by the rule to change after the first 500 miles to flush any metal from the manufacturing/break in process. Is this not needed anymore because advances in manufacturing? Any opinions on that?

Also, what's the thought on using synthetic oil after the break in period (5000 miles)?

I'll try to post a picture. I hope to get some nice alloy's for summer driving. I'll use the stock steels for winter tires. Thanks for any input.
The oil filter will remove any dirt in the oil.
Your car will tell you when to change the oil and filter. (Always do both)
quote from the manual.
Engine oil As indicated by the message center:
do not exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km)

The spec for the oil is 5w20.
Regarding the covers, It's a new technology, Eco Frendly, Less noise, cost saving.
Just clean them with low water pressure when you wash the car.
Mud washes off easily.

·
Registered
261 Posts

My Dealership told me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to come in and get it changed out at around 2-3k Miles just to get that initial gunk out. Afterwards it's smooth sailing.

As far as synthetic oil, i was told that the motocraft oil that they use is a blend of synth and real. I suppose if you can afford it and want to, go with the synth. They way the dealership is making it sound, is that it'll be ok doing the blend.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I had cloth inserts in my rear wheel wells for my 2001 focus...so it's "nothing new"
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
171 Posts
My Dealership told me that it wouldn't be a bad idea to come in and get it changed out at around 2-3k Miles just to get that initial gunk out. Afterwards it's smooth sailing.

As far as synthetic oil, i was told that the motocraft oil that they use is a blend of synth and real. I suppose if you can afford it and want to, go with the synth. They way the dealership is making it sound, is that it'll be ok doing the blend.
Did you talk to your salesman or the service department about the oil change? (Salesmen don't know jack about cars. Trust me, I used to sell Fords). The manual says change it every 10,000 miles or if the car tells you to. I'd do what the service guy says 1/2 the time and everything the manual tells you to 100% of the time. After all the service department is there to make money and make you their lifelong customer. That's why I'd trust the service guys 1/2 the time, they're held accountable by Ford and they want you to only come to them for the right answers. But they also have to make a buck so you should still seek your own answers from Ford/ the manual.

If you don't get the answer at your Ford dealer service department, call another one. Ford is an international company and not all dealers are created equal. Ford corporate can be contacted if a serious issue needs to be addressed. Don't ask your salesman about anything that doesn't deal with buying another car or supplies missing from your car (missing manual, floormats, etc).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Simon, so are you saying you don't think it's necessary to change the oil after the first 1000 mi or so to get fresh oil in a new engine breaking in?

I have yet to see on my display where it tells you what the oil life percentage is, maybe someone can point me to it.

Seems like a lot of people are pretty confident in the oil life monitoring system, I wonder if it assumes you're using conventional oil or a blend? Any more input from anyone?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Adding to the thread, is it recommended to go the dealer for oil changes or independent shops?
DIY. IMO.

If I had to choose between dealer and independent shops...I'd choose dealer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've used synthetic oil (mostly Mobil 1) for the last 25 to 30 years. Never regretted it.........way too many benefits compared to petroleum based oils, to get into here. It is pricier.

Having said that.............all oils in the US are rated by the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers (I think). If an oil meets an SJ standard (or what ever the current one is), it's pretty much the same as any other SJ rated oil.

Check out Wal Mart's Super Tech line of oils (including their synthetic), it's way cheaper than the major brands, and meets the same SAE standard as the rest. Good luck, and have fun in your new ride!

·
Registered
232 Posts
My salesman gave me a free first oil change card and told me to come in at 6 months/6,000 miles. Sounds like a reasonable compromise. 10K just feels too long to me even with 95% highway driving.

Ten years ago I would've changed the oil at 1,000 miles. Nowadays not so much.

·
Registered
168 Posts
>>>just to get that initial gunk out.

If anyone at a dealer told you there is "initial gunk" in a motor, you need to be very skeptical.

There was a time in history when the "change at 500 miles" made sense (I changed to Mobil 1 in my 2010 Focus at 500 miles) that is not longer true.

The current crop of lubricants is amazing and has properties no one could have dreamed of even 5 years ago.

Amsoil is a major sponsor of our race team so I use Amsoil Signature Series Synthetic. I'll have no reservations about doing changes at 10,000 mile intervals. I did the first one around 5,000 miles.

With regard to "who" does it . . it's a bit of a crap shoot. I happend to find, and quite by accident, a local shop. I was getting fuel in a small town one morning and noticed the inside of the 3 bay shop. All spanking pristine 12' Snap-On cabinets and the place looked like our R&D and PDC (Product Developement Center) work stations.

I asked if they'd be willing to do the change if I supplied the oil and filter and they were on board. They allowed me to take photos of the entire process and document everything. The OEM oil went to testing labs at both Blackstone and Amsoil for analysis.

I posted photos of the entire process.

The good news is that you can't really choose a "wrong" oil. I'd simply find a place, dealer or independant shop, with which you are comfortable and enjoy the heck out of the car.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hi, you've got manufacturers cars having even greater gaps between oil/filter changes than 10k and I believe with Porsche it is 20k or two years. Really, with todays oil technology, there isn't any need to change any earlier, however if it suits the owner then fine, it won't hurt anything, aside from the pocket. I guess if you only keep your car 2-4 years anyway it matters little.
Chris

·
Registered
168 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is what my Ford dealership told me. With new manufacturing tolerances, you can wait for the 5k interval. They ship from the factory with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is what my Ford dealership told me. With new manufacturing tolerances, you can wait for the 5k interval. They ship from the factory with synthetic oil.
So the Focus comes from the factory with synthetic in it? Can anyone else verify this?????

·
Registered
724 Posts
The manual list three Motorcraft oils conventional, syn blend and full synthetic. the first one is conventional.

If it had come from the factory with full synthetic they would be recommending it for changes with the others as an alternate not the other way around.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe my manual says "only use conventional oil". Something about the engine was designed and tested for conventional oil and using synthetic may cause different wear patterns in moving parts or something like that. I don't have it in front of me but pretty sure it warned not to use any synthetic or synthetic-blend oils.

I wondered about this though. Maybe Ford just never tested with synthetic oil and using it probably wouldn't hurt the engine. According to the hype about synthetic oil it should be a good thing.

My dealer said wait till 5000 miles so I did. I noticed around 4000 when I checked my dipstick that I was a whole quart low! I added immediately so no harm done. I imagine if I would of waited for the 10000 mile or the "change oil soon" warning that I would of had very low oil level and probably got the "add engine oil" or "low engine oil" warning which I never want to happen.

Remember the manual also states clearly under maintenance section that all fluid levels including oil should be checked every month and if low then add fluid to correct levels.

I plan on changing oil with conventional type every 4-5000 miles just to be safe. Maybe after it gets into the high mileage category then move to synthetic or blended oils.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My dealer said wait till 5000 miles so I did. I noticed around 4000 when I checked my dipstick that I was a whole quart low! I added immediately so no harm done. I imagine if I would of waited for the 10000 mile or the "change oil soon" warning that I would of had very low oil level and probably got the "add engine oil" or "low engine oil" warning which I never want to happen.
A whole quart low in only 4000 miles?? That sounds like my '85 f150 style usage and not a brand new vehicle. That is very surprising to be a whole quart low...

Me, I change it every 3-4k and with mobil1 on all our vehicles. I don't want to be draining black oil, just really brown oil...that way I know the oil passages are still clean and will stay that way. 10k oil changes...I'll probably never wait that long...ever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts