Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus SE 2.0L DI DOHC 4cyl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm a college student in mid-Michigan and I'm a proud owner of a used 2016 Focus SE 2.0l Flex. I was forced to panic-buy in November of last year after my project Crown Victoria blew up on me and my friends advised me to ditch it. I thought I'd go with something I already knew, I previously owned a 2013 Focus Hatch and I loved it. I've got 86,000 miles, 2600 are my own and she drives like a dream. I figured I should hop on the owner's forums for some helpful tips and tricks.

Now that Summer is coming up, it's time for me to get the jack out and start working on it. It's always hard to get any work done in my apartment's parking lot when it's snowing all over me. I'm nervous about the previous owner history, so I've been doing some preventative maintenance myself. I've got the spark plugs replaced, the oil changed, and the brakes bled and filled. I'm going to get the transmission fluid flushed and replaced next, but I'm thinking I'm gonna need a professional to get that done for me. (So far no issues with the powershift.)

I swapped out my stock headlights for some nice LED's and got them aimed properly, (took me about a week to figure out what I was doing wrong with the H1's, but I eventually got those sorted.)

I've been reading around on the forums. It looks like there's a lot of cool stuff to check out, and I'm doing my research. Anything specific to recommend? I'm excited to be connected with a car community for the first time, it's cool that there's a community out there who are so in tune with this specific model range.

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,481 Posts
Hello and welcome to this Focus forum!
One of the first things that I buy for any modern car that I get is vent visors. They allow you to have the windows open a little in the rain and also allow you to leave the windows cracked on hot days to keep the interior from getting nuclear hot. I recommend the original and best AVS(Auto Ventshade) brand or the Ford brand(made by Auto Ventshade for Ford). You can get the stick on type or the window channel type. On the Focus I suggest the stick on type since I have heard a few complaints about the window channel ones causing problems with the window.
You didn't say but I assume that you own an automatic DCT and not a manual?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yes he did say that he has the DTC and he did say he has no problems with it. But I would leave the fluid change alone as the gear oil Ford puts in this trans is bullet proof and very high quality from what I learned. Just trying to save you the money.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
But I would leave the fluid change alone as the gear oil Ford puts in this trans is bullet proof and very high quality from what I learned.
Though I missed the word powershift in his post gear oil, as you said, would be for a manual trans. There is no gear oil in the auto as it takes 2 quarts of special automatic transmission fluid. Also, it's DCT(dual clutch transmission), not DTC.
There's no such thing as "bulletproof" gear oil either. All fluids in a car will break down with usage, friction, heat/cold cycles, etc. It doesn't matter if it's the most expensive synthetic available.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Actually it is a gear oil the DCT transmission is a dry dual clutch transmission the clutches never see the fluid. The DCT fluid is used in multiple manual transmission vehicles.
My Fiesta ST a 6-speed manual uses that fluid well it did from the factory. I changed it to something else. Very much a gear oil.

Definitely not automatic transmission fluid, but Ford did use automatic transmission fluid in some of its manual transmissions.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Actually it is a gear oil the DCT transmission is a dry dual clutch transmission the clutches never see the fluid. The DCT fluid is used in multiple manual transmission vehicles.
My Fiesta ST a 6-speed manual uses that fluid well it did from the factory. I changed it to something else. Very much a gear oil.

Definitely not automatic transmission fluid, but Ford did use automatic transmission fluid in some of its manual transmissions.

It says right on the specific Ford XT-11-QDC bottle "transmission fluid", not gear oil.
Also, there are more than just one type of DCT fluids that meet different manufacturer specifications for different applications. Just because it says DCT on the bottle doesn't mean it's applicable for your vehicle. Case in point is the Valvoline DCT fluid that does NOT meet the Ford specs for the DPS6 Powershift dry clutch transmission that most of us have in our Focuses.
Just because the fluid may be a higher viscosity than typical ATF it doesn't make it a gear oil. It's still a fluid just as Ford said.
The Ford XT-11-QDC fluid serves to lubricate the normal parts like gears and bearings but it also operates the shifting which is precisely why it's not an oil but an ATF transmission fluid.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
It is gear oil. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W Is what the DCT fluid is.

Ford used its DCT fluid in multiple true manual transmissions it is a 75 weight gear oil.

Manual transmission fluid and gear oil people would consider interchangeable it's just wording. A 75 weight oil is far from an automatic transmission fluid which is basically hydraulic fluid with a additive package for the clutch packs.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Castrol's own product data sheet says fluid. It is 75w but as I said this particular specification has to lube gears AND shift the trans with the TCM. The various additives, refining level, and resulting low viscosity mean fluid.
I'll meet you half way insofar as obviously there is a gray area in what is known as being specific automatic and manual fluids. Notice however that none of the bottles no matter what brand it is for this WSS-M2C200-D2 specification are labeled gear oil but instead fluid. Standardized gear oil in transmissions is more common of an older era and nowadays many vehicles take a highly refined synthetic fluid with many varying additives that alter it's makeup. There comes a point in the refining process when what you would normally consider gear oil is not technically an oil anymore but instead a fluid regardless of it's heavier weight class.
There are other DCT fluids too. The GT500 has it's own for instance. I have also seen others.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
What is the difference between fluid and gear oil?

If a manual transmission calls for 75w80, and a rear differential also calls for 75w80 is the rear differential getting fluid or gear oil?

You have very high end synthetic expensive gear oils.

Anyway just going to have to agree to disagree.

I understand that there are many different DCT fluids. Ford basically has two one for their dry clutch transmission which is used in multiple manual transmission vehicles, and you have the one in the GT500 which is a wet clutch dual clutch fluid. Very different because it has a additive package for the clutches.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
As I said above it's the refining process and additives that make the difference. By your logic we should all just put in good old regular 75w90 in our DCT. Just because a differential takes 75w gear oil doesn't mean the 75w in an automatic transmission or even many modern manual transmissions gets the same thing.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Unfortunately, this isn't a black and white subject and it really is more gray. At what point in the refining process, amount of additives, and viscosity is gear oil considered a fluid? I don't know. Maybe there is no hard line but since the engineers call this one fluid that's what I'm going with.
As far as the DCT powershift goes, thinking of it in conventional legacy terms is not correct. Manufacturers have come up with new designs for automatics. Just because they don't fit the old norms doesn't make them any less of an automatic trans. Consider the CVT for instance. It's not like a normal hydraulic trans at all but it's still very much an automatic.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Once again going to have to agree to disagree on that subject as well.

A CVT transmission is a CVT transmission.
A DCT transmission is a DCT transmission dry clutch or wet clutch.
A automatic transmission has a torque converter, planetary gear set and a hydraulic circuit.
A manual transmission has a clutch pedal.

One last thing all the shifting done by the Ford DCT transmission is done with electric motors. The fluid is not used to shift the transmission its job is to lubricate. No pump no hydraulic pressure all done by electric motors.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Then you disagree with the engineering community, car manufacturers, and the dictionary.
By definition an automatic transmission is a trans that doesn't need any driver input to change gears. A CVT whether you like it or not is very much an automatic and it says so literally everywhere that it's an auto if you look it up. It was actually invented and in use long before the common hydraulic automatic ever was. It's not a conventional hydraulic automatic but an automatic of a different design nonetheless.
In the very 1st sentence of your Ford of India article it says "dual clutch 6-speed automated gearbox".
I really don't know why you can't let yourself realize that there are other types of automatic transmissions. It simply is so.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
Probably because I'm a huge car enthusiast.

I believe that people should know what they are buying. All of those transmissions perform completely different, and they need to be separated because of that.

We are just not going to agree and that is okay.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Focus SE 2.0L DI DOHC 4cyl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Probably because I'm a huge car enthusiast.

I believe that people should know what they are buying. All of those transmissions perform completely different, and they need to be separated because of that.

We are just not going to agree and that is okay.

Thanks for the input, I guess since I'm not noticing any issues with the shifting, I can hold off on getting the fluid changed. I definitely don't want to be dipping into any type of unnecessary maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts