Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my 17’ ST3 with 28k on it (Monday). And I’ve already bought a short throw and a throttle body. The dealership I work at suggests that I don’t put the new throttle body on without a Tuner. I’m going from the stock 57 mm to the upgraded 63 mm. Haven’t got a tuner yet.

Should I get one before I put it on? And I am no engine junkie, so would I have to remap the tune after every upgrade? No idea how it works! Please help!

My car has a BOV on it. That’s it. I plan on adding CAI all the way to the Full cat back exhaust at some point

·
Registered
101 Posts
You'll want a tune for the larger throttle body. The CAI and exhaust don't necessitate a tune.

There are essentially two types of tuning devices...a Cobb Accessport (AP) or an SCT device. A tuner will usually only tune to a specific device. The Cobb AP's cost ~$500 new but are more flexible. They allow you to monitor important aspects of your engine. You'll see used Cobb AP's going for $350-$450. I don't know how much the SCT's cost but they're materially less expensive than the Cobb AP....you just don't get any of the monitoring features the Cobb AP provides. The SCT is merely a device that holds a tune.

Be sure to go with a very reputable tuner. Stratified and JST are the two more popular tuners and are able to remotely tune your car and use the Cobb AP. The Ford Performance Racing Parts (FPRR) tune using the SCT tuning device. Another popular tuner who uses the SCT device is named "Torie". You'll find any of those tuners by Googling them.

You use your AP to generate data logs and send those logs to your tuner of choice. The process essentially goes.....
1. You generate log files
2. You email those logs to the tuner
3. Your tuner reviews logs and emails you a tune to install onto your device

You rinse and repeat that process until both you and the tuner are satisfied with your tune....then it's all about enjoying it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can I just get a tuner and use the stage one tune until I can afford the rest of the upgrades?
Yep.....you can absolutely do that. However, there are a lot of folks who don’t believe the Cobb off-the-shelf (OTS) tunes that come with the AP are good/safe. It’s a debated topic.

Nevertheless, I don’t think you’ll find anyone who says the OTS Cobb tunes run as well as the Stratified, JST or Freektunes tunes. Nishan (out of New Jersey) is another very respected tuner who uses the Cobb AP.

Nishan has done some cool research on the ST’s 2.0. He was able to get it to crack a cylinder at 770hp. There is a lot of room to grow horsepower in that little engine!

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,072 Posts
Cobb AP is definitely years ahead of SCT in terms of tech and what it can read. I noticed you are in Ohio. Look into RDC (Rebel Devil Customs), his tuner lives in Cincinnati and does a nice job. He does tune by HPtuners also. Buy used, well worth the savings.

Do get a tune for the 63mm TB, it will make a difference in performance as there is more air going through the tune will account for. Typically if you buy a tune, you do get unlimited tunes, so if you add or change something its a matter of taking another datalog and sending it to said tuner.

As stated, OTS tunes are very bleh, not really recommended to run as its a very basic changes. But you can.

·
Registered
101 Posts
One other thing about buying a used AP...make sure the AP is unmarried from the car.

When applying a tune to a car through the AP, the tune & device marries itself to the car making the device and tune usable to ONLY that car.

You can easily unmarry the AP from the car.

If you buy a married AP, you can work with Cobb to get it unmarried but it costs ~$200 plus shipping costs and wait time.

If you go the used AP route, confirm it has been unmarried from the seller’s car before buying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts