Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 ZTS, with about 120,000 miles and a new transmission recently. Got it about 2 months ago after someone hit me and totaled my 2003. Hasn't had any problems until this new noise started up about a week ago.

The noise is coming from the front end. It's hard to describe. The best description would be something similar to the noise knobby off-road tires make when traveling on pavement - that sort of humming noise. And it gets incredibly worse the further I turn the wheel to the left. I hear it better when I'm at slow speeds, but it's definitely still there on the highway. It has made driving quite noisy, as in, people notice it when I have my cell on speaker or on my bluetooth.

Any ideas on what might be causing it? Or is this something I should take in to a mechanic right away? Thanks! [???:)]

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
First thing to check would be the tires.
They should feel smooth if you run you hand across the tread. If it grabs your hand or you feel high and low spots, have the alignment checked ... or it could be a bad/reject tire.

Second thing that comes to mind would be the CV Joint or axle (one in the same really). They don't go bad often unless they are subject to some serious neglect or damage/abuse ... such as a torn CV Boot and driving for a while with no grease.

Third would be a wheel bearing. But that shouldn't change when turning the wheel. Whereas an axle would.

A second set of ears wouldn't be a bad idea. And someone who has a good ear for this type of thing would be best.

·
Banned
252 Posts
wheel bearing...just had mine replaced last Friday. It was making NO NOISE just a single thump when starting or stopping...replaced the axle....still made the noise. Tie Rod...noise... Endlinks...noise......it was the wheel bearing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts