Focus Fanatics Forum banner

81 - 100 of 141 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Ok, so we are talking just the engine and not the whole package? That sums it all up nicely. [idea] I'm talking the whole package and not just and engine... [drummer]
Actually we were talking the TB and the Hose , then you brought up combinations ,then how Motorcycles respond, then gearing , then how you feel dynos dont show gains but on track will have gains the dyno doesnt show , Lets deal with one thing at a time
Gearing is a HUGE in getting to your power band and getting off the line quicker then the guy next to you. This is huge when you are dealing with power adders to. Without the gearing you aren't going anywhere.
Yes gearing is important , I think I did agree with that but thats totally different subject then the TB and Hose

But were just talking the Engine...

Well that depends on who built the intake and the amount of R/D that was done to prove it works before putting it on the market. Plus was it set up for NA/Turbo etc... Just because there was a failed intake doesn't mean someone else won't come out with a better one and does produce HP/TQ.
Yes it was set up for NA or Boost , Dont know the R&D that was done but in the datalogs I could see a power loss , I questioned it but everyone running them said they felt better , when tested/dynoed I think it was a 15-18 HP loss ( dont remember ) Point is they thought they were great by the butt dyno , You have a lot of reasons why the intake might not of worked and there good questions to ask but you blindly still believe that the TB and Hose that had no R&D or testing done by those making it should make HP/TQ gains just because there being sold and being used ????????????????/

Not really; per say, but you can have a car with tones of power and without the right combination and can't put the power to the wheels and you'll loose to a less powerful car who has the right set up.
If you have tons of power and cant put it to the ground thats suspension and tires and that opens a complete new can of worms

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Been watching this thread for awhile and I did order this hose.

Tonight Ill be installing Steeda 63mm TB spacer, 63mm TB, MST hose for 63mm TB, RS airbox, Cobb filter and velossa tech wide mouth snorkel.

Do I expect much of an increase in power? Nah. I would like some throttle response increase though. That would be nice.
I would say with the RS and filter you will see a little from that , the hose looks better so thats a +

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
About the only thing Im really concerned about running the bigger TB is that I will not be port matching the IM. Normally I would do this when going up in TB size.

I will probably do this at some point by picking up a spare IM and working on that.

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Dyno is complete, once i get dyno graphs up and comparison one together, ill post results

owner: Rebel Devil Customs
Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
Registered
439 Posts
I expect Ill be needing to trim the hose down a bit, Ill be trimming it slowly down till it fits properly.
I have the Damond Motorsports TB Spacer that is about 1". I trimmed mine down 1" and it fit. There is some space still on the TB, but the hose clamp is holding it all down. Won't be coming off anytime.

If you look at my pics on this thread you'll see how it all hooked up. Your on the right track to trim slowly,

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
Testing was not done properly , when you change a part like a TB you do not change the tune because all gains could be from the tune , same with the hose , no tune should of been changed or even in the Focus for proper testing on parts like a TB or intake hose , mass air didnt show any increase in flow and the ECU is more then capable of dealing with any small air fuel change

But I understand you sell these parts and how could you sell them with out you showing a gain

Tom

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Testing was not done properly , when you change a part like a TB you do not change the tune because all gains could be from the tune , same with the hose , no tune should of been changed or even in the Focus for proper testing on parts like a TB or intake hose , mass air didnt show any increase in flow and the ECU is more then capable of dealing with any small air fuel change

But I understand you sell these parts and how could you sell them with out you showing a gain

Tom
I said if there was no gain i would show, if loss I would show... I'm sure most of these people can understand going from a 55mm to a 63mm TB would need adjustments for the correct airflow.. so YES, a TB specific tune update is warranted....

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
I said if there was no gain i would show, if loss I would show... I'm sure most of these people can understand going from a 55mm to a 63mm TB would need adjustments for the correct airflow.
This is the part you dont understand just because you go to a TB that can flow more doesnt mean the engine can ingest more , if the engine cannot take in more air then there will be no gains in HP or TQ

Going by what your saying then we should be going to a 70mm or 73mm TB its bigger and can flow more air right ? Should make more gains then the 63mm

Tom

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
This is the part you dont understand just because you go to a TB that can flow more doesnt mean the engine can ingest more , if the engine cannot take in more air then there will be no gains in HP or TQ

Going by what your saying then we should be going to a 70mm or 73mm TB its bigger and can flow more air right ? Should make more gains then the 63mm

Tom
No because the inlet diameter of the intake manifold would not be larger enough for one that size... matching correct parts for decent gains is the right way to do things, and you do know this..

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
No because the inlet diameter of the intake manifold would not be larger enough for one that size... matching correct parts for decent gains is the right way to do things, and you do know this..
I made the intake bigger for the 70mm I made and it did nothing , but your way of thinking it should of made more HP/TQ

Tom

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
I made the intake bigger for the 70mm I made and it did nothing , but your way of thinking it should of made more HP/TQ

Tom
Ok sure, that says something wasn't done correctly, but Im not gonna argue semantics, we had gains, and shared all the info with the people interested. Thank you, have a nice night...

And yes there is a such thing as too large a TB, just like over carbing in the old days, became redundant and lost power... correct combination of parts, and tune.. all you need

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
And yes there is a such thing as too large a TB, just like over carbing in the old days, became redundant and lost power... correct combination of parts, and tune.. all you need
Did you really just compare a 15-18mm larger TB to a Carburetor that was over sized

Let me help you , a 70mm / 73mm larger TB wont hurt performance , if the engine cannot ingest the air then only thing bad is you wasted money on to big of a TB

If the Carburetor is to big it causes sluggish low end low and mid range performance loss , over fueling , issues with acceleration and on and on totally different from what a to large TB will do

Tom

·
Banned
12,313 Posts
Did you really just compare a 15-18mm larger TB to a Carburetor that was over sized

Let me help you , a 70mm / 73mm larger TB wont hurt performance , if the engine cannot ingest the air then only thing bad is you wasted money on to big of a TB

If the Carburetor is to big it causes sluggish low end low and mid range performance loss , over fueling , issues with acceleration and on and on totally different from what a to large TB will do

Tom
If a larger carb with small jets (ie larger TB same fueling) leads to a LEAN CONDITION.... wtf ever dude. You do you, and I'll do me and provide the customer with valid information and data....

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
FF Affiliate
30,146 Posts
You do you, and I'll do me and provide the customer with valid information and data.....
Ok , when will we see this ?

You cant change a TB and a Tune , see 3hp+/- gain and say it was all the TB

Tom

·
Banned
12,313 Posts

Tom
Im not going to tell you how to correctly adjust the Tune for the TB, figure that out for yourself....

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
Banned
12,313 Posts

Tom
See what, valid info and Data it was provided... thank you

Red Devil STedan #1
Project NAS-T

·
Registered
85 Posts
Focus-philes,

Got the 'big' MST tube installed today. It needed some trimming to fit without a little buckle in it but it is now perfectly installed, lol. The MST tube looks great and quite an improvement over the stock accordian tube, imo. And the appropriate fit on the bigger throttlebody is worth the cost of admission (to me).

The plastic inserts for the PCV and the smaller hose (not sure what it is for) needed a little work to get them out of the stock hose. I used a small flat-blade screw driver and some silicone spray to get the big barb started back into the sleeve. Don't bend the plastic parts too much or they will break.

For those interested, I used tin snips and a belt sander to get the angles and nice finish needed. At the t/b end, the tube needed to be shortened on the engine side and the air filter side needed trimming on the bottom half. Lots of trial-and-error fitting so I didn't remove too much and end up throwing away $70 and two weeks of wait time. Haven't taken the car for a drive yet but I will post an update after I log a few miles.

Last thing: another member posted about the intake manifold opening. I can tell you that the 2013 needs no modification. The t/b is the same diameter as the intake manifold opening.

That's all for now.

Chris

·
Registered
85 Posts
Focus-philes,

Got the 'big' MST tube installed today. It needed some trimming to fit without a little buckle in it but it is now perfectly installed, lol. The MST tube looks great and quite an improvement over the stock accordian tube, imo. And the appropriate fit on the bigger throttlebody is worth it to me.

The plastic inserts for the PCV and whatever the little hose needed a little work to get them out of the stock hose. I used a small flat-blade screw driver and some silicone spray to get the big barb started back into the sleeve. Don't bend the plastic parts too much or they will break.

For those interested, I used tin snips and a belt sander to get the angles needed. At the t/b end, the tube needed to be shortened on the engine side and the air filter side needed trimming on the bottom half. Lots of trial-and-error fitting so I didn't remove too much and end up throwing away $70 and two weeks of wait time. Haven't taken the car for a drive yet but I will post an update after I log a few miles.

Last thing: another member posted about the intake manifold opening. I can tell you that the 2013 needs no modification. The t/b is the same diameter as the intake manifold opening.

That's all for now.

Chris

81 - 100 of 141 Posts