Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 ZTW. The left rear window was taped up so my guess was it needed a new motor or regulator. I just replaced the old with a new regulator/motor assembly. The motor electrical harness has been reconnected. Tried raising/lowering from the left rear door switch. Nothing. Tried from the front driver master switch. Still nothing. I noticed during disassembly that the door was not original. It's a different color behind the door panel. I followed the wires out of the door down to the connection at the main harness and everything appears connected. At the moment nothing else comes to mind to check.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, all other windows work properly from the master switch and from the switch at each individual window.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Two comments to start,

Check for power when using the switches at the motor connector.

Test the new motor with battery & jumper wires.

You could have no power to the motor, you could have inadequate power (amperage), new motor might not work. Visual inspection & guessing only goes so far with electrical.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Power at switch: PASS
Direct power to motor: PASS

I used a small brass brush to clean all the connectors and sprayed with CRC LectraMotive. It now works perfectly. Maybe the dirty connectors were the reason the old motor failed. Voltage drop, or something like that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Great!

The answer was the second possibility, inadequate power at the motor due to the poor connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts