Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was talking to Blkdragn at the GTG and he mentioned that the front opening on my yet-to-be-installed Roush bumper would be a good place for the front license plate, it started me thinking.

I had seen a Focus online that had the rear hatch "smoothed" to get rid of the indent for the rear plate... I found a place in Great Britain that makes a fiberglass cap that goes over the hatch and does this without a ton of metalwork. You just have to blend the edges of the fibergalss cap and the metal hatch together to clean up the looks when the hatch is open. I could relocate the rear plate to the opening in the rear Roush bumper, but it would cover the "Roush" logo molded in the bottom part of the bumper.

Here's some pics of what the hatch would look like:

Let me know what you NorCal'ers think...

Attachments

·
RIP 02 SVT 0209
3,944 Posts
cool $hit ..lots of work , fiberglass ? i would just make it out of metal (cause i weld at work all day) pick up a extra hatch and do the work so the $hit dont ever crack..

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wow, that looks great!!
Plus, it's the right color too.
[headbang]

I agree with volcomstone1966, buy a piece of steel and weld it in. With a little bondo you've got a solid panel that won't crack. Although, there are some pretty serious adhesives nowadays that will bond fiberglass to metal permanently.

I'm curious though, would you post the link to the fill in panel?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool $hit ..lots of work , fiberglass ? i would just make it out of metal (cause i weld at work all day) pick up a extra hatch and do the work so the $hit dont ever crack..
I'm a non-welder, otherwise that would be a great idea. I like the idea of all metal better than fiberglass anyday.

I guess I need to take a welding class at the local community center [deviltail] I have all these ideas but not the skill to do them! [?|]

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, that looks great!!
Plus, it's the right color too.
[headbang]

I agree with volcomstone1966, buy a piece of steel and weld it in. With a little bondo you've got a solid panel that won't crack. Although, there are some pretty serious adhesives nowadays that will bond fiberglass to metal permanently.

I'm curious though, would you post the link to the fill in panel?
Here it is (on eBay international):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190274206963&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
This has been done here in the states. There have been a couple done here in Minnesota. I have pics on a diff computer of one of the cars. Definitely looks great!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'm a non-welder, otherwise that would be a great idea. I like the idea of all metal better than fiberglass any day.

I guess I need to take a welding class at the local community center [deviltail] I have all these ideas but not the skill to do them! [?|]
I just tool a look at the panel <---Love it!
It definitely would work well with the fiberglass-metal bonding adhesive.

Not to worry about cracking since it's the whole panel and not a fill in piece.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^^^^ Nice! I like the modified bumper for the plate, but I think it's a bunch of work!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I could relocate the rear plate to the opening in the rear Roush bumper, but it would cover the "Roush" logo molded in the bottom part of the bumper.
Now that I think about it, since the exhaust goes thru the opening in the roush bumper to the far left, I could offset the license plate to the far right and the Roush logo would be visible. I would just need to get some LED lights to shine down on the plate to keep the po-po happy.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For plate lighting how about these?

Different brands also have black, chrome or natural aluminum.

·
Registered
149 Posts
ive been thinking about doing this for awhile. i actually found those smoothing plates as well.

^^^i second that, who knows what the final price would run for all of this?

·
Registered
900 Posts
well if you good with metal and bondo then it shouldn't be too expensive.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Studies show that 92% of kids listen to rap. If you are one of the 8% who still listens to real music put this in your signature
Hey, I'm a 40 y.o. that listens to rap... Am I exempt from this statement since I am far from being a "kid"? [;)]

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I'll be 39 this February and I like the old school Rap from the 80's and early 90's like Public Enemy, Kool Moe Dee, NWA.....

I'm digging this smooth look. I wonder what it would look like with my Roush mid wing and bumper?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts