Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My wife & I just bought a 2012 SE with 39k miles. It's going to be my wife's car. We both love the car but today she said it feels sluggish. Keep in mind our other family car that she was used to is a 2012 Sonata SE 2.0T so the Focus is lacking 100+ HP. I don't expect to even get close to that kind of power though. My question is, what mods do you recommend that won't make the car much louder but add some power? Best bang for my buck. I've read a little through here & don't want to make any cuts on her car (snorkel delete mod) or add an exhaust. I know that doesn't leave much room though. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi,
My wife & I just bought a 2012 SE with 39k miles. It's going to be my wife's car. We both love the car but today she said it feels sluggish. Keep in mind our other family car that she was used to is a 2012 Sonata SE 2.0T so the Focus is lacking 100+ HP. I don't expect to even get close to that kind of power though. My question is, what mods do you recommend that won't make the car much louder but add some power? Best bang for my buck. I've read a little through here & don't want to make any cuts on her car (snorkel delete mod) or add an exhaust. I know that doesn't leave much room though. Thanks for any help!
Ever heard about the ST?
If you are game, you can tune with Tom from Focus-Power. Good service and great work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ever heard about the ST?
If you are game, you can tune with Tom from Focus-Power. Good service and great work.
No, never heard about that. I am interested though. What does the tuning change & what kind of power does it add?

·
Registered
53 Posts
You don't have to cut anything to do the snorkel delete, just undo push pins and take out two scews to let you peel back the plastic shroud that covers it. After that, 3 push pins and it is out. Anytime you like you can put it back in. Add the K&N filter and you have a car that feels more responsive for the price of a filter.

·
FF Affiliate
31,095 Posts
No, never heard about that. I am interested though. What does the tuning change & what kind of power does it add?
Tuning changes a lot of things better low and mid range performance , better over all driveability , better MPG , better shifting

As for the power gains that will change from Focus to Focus and there is no way for me to say what your gains will be 99.5% say they see a noticeable change , I would also add a drop in filter

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't have to cut anything to do the snorkel delete, just undo push pins and take out two scews to let you peel back the plastic shroud that covers it. After that, 3 push pins and it is out. Anytime you like you can put it back in. Add the K&N filter and you have a car that feels more responsive for the price of a filter.
Ok. Today I added a K&N drop in filter, removed the snorkel & went ahead & removed the shroud instead of cutting in to it like a lot of others on this forum have done. I figured while I was in there I might as well try it out with the shroud completely removed rather than cut in to it so I could simply replace it if I decide to later. I definitely noticed the car more responsive all across the RPM's, especially low/mid where it lacked. The car did get a bit louder under mid/high acceleration but my wife was ok with it. I loved the extra sound though. Maybe the tune will be next. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ok. Today I added a K&N drop in filter, removed the snorkel & went ahead & removed the shroud instead of cutting in to it like a lot of others on this forum have done. I figured while I was in there I might as well try it out with the shroud completely removed rather than cut in to it so I could simply replace it if I decide to later. I definitely noticed the car more responsive all across the RPM's, especially low/mid where it lacked. The car did get a bit louder under mid/high acceleration but my wife was ok with it. I loved the extra sound though. Maybe the tune will be next. Thanks guys!
ive done the same as you with drop in and snorkel delete, i have also done tom's tune recently too and it has helped a good bit over the board.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
ive done the same as you with drop in and snorkel delete, i have also done tom's tune recently too and it has helped a good bit over the board.
Can you give an idea of what you gained from the tune?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts