Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have no guages, no speedo or miles, no cooling fans!
no temp guage! battery charging light lit! But alternator is charging at 14.8 volts at the battery; engine runs ok, but engine light on! fault indicator light on!

do have headlights and sidelights! it is a newish car for me, this possibly caused by running in to flash flood water! can someone tell me where to start please?
cheers Bob uk. ro284

·
Registered
2004 Focus Wagon, Zetec DOHC, Auto
1,589 Posts
Welcome to FF.

First things first...have you checked for a blown fuse? Also, have you examined the battery terminals...tight and clean there, and the battery grounds for good tight contact to the chassis?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply, yes i have checked all fuses, all grounds are good clean and tight, battery terminals good.
However when i switch ignition on, miles display for a second then go off, then fuel gauge display for a second then off again!, then no miles but digits display! all a bit strange,

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Does wiggling or tapping on the ignition switch while the car is running change anything?

Another check, is to verify voltage present on all fuses with car running. Those that don't have voltage can be researched to see if that is normal for them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou again focusknot, i think i'm on to something now, The fuse box! there are some fuses which are not connected! and they should be! fans, engine managment, etc, they appear to have lost voltage supply, so will look into it in the morning, and let you know what i find, Bob

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
^^^ That's good news in a way......at least it pins it down.

If fuses such as the cooling fans don't have voltage present, then you may have to look under the fuse box and see what is going on.

Disconnect the negative battery cable before diving into the fuse box.

Goodnight!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, i am trying to look at the fuse box today, in the rain! There is nothing obvious as yet except for the one fuse -Looking down on the fuse box this fuse is for the cooling fans, (which are not working) and is bottom right fuse (uk) fuse box)
What i am wondering is if a knock on affect of this ==no fans, could cause the engine light on? and other symtoms, however not sure this would affect gauges, or cause the battery light to be lit! Unfortunately i am trying to do this outside and getting wet, so not ideal to try and find faults in the fuse box! So i will try later, cheers bob

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Too bad it is raining....no fun there!

If there is a power distribution problem in the Battery Junction Box (fuse box under the hood) then all sorts of other electrical symptoms can happen. Power feeds from the battery and through the BJB to all other circuits and the Central Junction Box (fuse box under dash).

The bottom of the BJB comes off after it is unmounted. There may be something burned, cracked, or loose. Whatever is preventing power on the fuse for the cooling fans and other fuses should be apparent once it is examined.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, Bit of a damp update! where i was testing for continuity from/to the fan fuse, i realised that there was no differnce between the fuse connection readings! because there is in fact a short in the 2 wires going to/from that fuse, the same with some other fuses, so next step to trace those faults. starting at the fans end and work back to the fuse box! no wonder i get strange effects on the instruments! i can't find a ford diagram, so will make one up and work from that, Unless there are wiring diagrams on this site, which would be better! ps, just got your update thankyou! the diagram underneath bjb, is not readable, fell of in bits! unfortunatey, bob

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I don't know the differences between the UK and US versions, but in the US cars the cooling fan fuses go over to relays inside the BJB.

There is a 50A fuse for high speed fan operation and a 30A fuse for low speed fan operation in the US cars for the earlier models.

There are a least two relays for high and low speed. My car has four relays.

The wiring from the fuses to the relays is on the underside of the BJB.

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
There should be very little difference in circuit schematics, and I don't think there's much difference in placement of parts under the hood except what's on the firewall- PB booster, evaporative emissions purge valve, etc.

Schematics don't relate placement, only wiring points, so those are the same. There should be a hot coming off the battery and going to the underhood fuse box, and a ground. The ground is there for the relay coils in the box. Everything else there is a hot, but if you lose that ground, there will be problems. It is usually not a very large wire, but it is necessary.

So what all is working now that you have found loose fuses and relays?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is there a possibility that you have something wrong with the instrument cluster itself ? If I recall correctly, the cluster interface board for your model is known to fail for no apparent reason. I'm saying this because I very much doubt that a fault related to the control, power and monitoring circuits (sensors, switches, alt, ignition, etc.) can make the cluster behave in this manner, thanks to the electrical isolation and ECU protection design.

Since you say that the fault lamp is on, an OBD reading might help. Otherwise, have a look at this site and see if it applies to your situation. I'd start with the cluster's in-built Self Diagnostic Mode.

http://workshop-manuals.com/ford/fo...ion/diagnosis_and_testing/instrument_cluster/

If you find the text too small, use Ctrl + on your browser to enlarge and Ctrl 0 to reset.

One last thing, since you suspect water ingress, check if any water managed to get in the ECU bay.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
@polygon
You may not have read post #5 by the OP. He is missing voltage at several fuses in BJB that would be unrelated to an instrument cluster issue.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@FocusKnot - Tx but I did read the whole thread. The thing is I cannot understand how the engine is running, battery is charging, head lamps are working but engine management is reported as disconnected. Something's amiss IMHO. As for the possibility of a faulty instrument cluster, I don't think it should be overlooked. If you Google "2003 ford focus instrument cluster", there are loads of threads discussing identical symptoms.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
@polygon
....and something may be amiss. I am only going by what the OP says he is measuring on those fuses. If he is missing voltage on a few of the fuses that should be connected to "always hot" then there must be something wrong in the BJB. There is no other explanation for that.

All of the other funky things going on with the dash, etc. would be a result of loss of power to those circuits and should be ignored until the BJB issue is repaired as that will probably take care of everything.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@FocusKnot - I'm 100% with you there. In fact in those threads I mentioned, there are multiple instances in support of your approach, i.e. issues with instrument cluster due to wiring and power supply problems, including faulty alt and damaged battery.

Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for replies guys, sorry i have not been back till now, but once it starts raining here it does not stop! but i hope to get on with this today, hopefully update later, Thanks again, Bob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well i checked around a bit more, rain did not stop for long, i have some fuses that never seem to have a voltage, engine running or not! these are The outer most one (uk fuse box) 30a,Fan. then a space then 2-10 amp fuses with hazzard triangle shape. then a space to 2 - more 10amp fuses, marked with light symble, i will hopefully try switching lights on tomorow. thanks

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Some of the fuses will not have voltage on them...it depends on what is turned on. Example is the headlight fuses...they won't have voltage on the fuses until the headlights are turned on. That's why I said in earlier post "Those that don't have voltage can be researched to see if that is normal for them."

The cooling fan fuse should have voltage present on it at all times...car running or not. If it does not, then I would concentrate on finding out why...that will likely lead to the cause of why voltage is missing on any other fuse that should have it but doesn't.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts