Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm a college student in the market for a used car. I was originally going to buy your standard mid 90's japanese 4 door, but came across the Focus on Edmunds.com. They noted that it was efficient, cheap, and fun--basically everything i was looking for. So now I'm scouring Ebay, Autotrader.com, and the classifieds here for a early model manual ZX3, looking to spend no more than 6500. At any rate, I came across FF and have been pleasantly surprised at both the wealth of information and friendliness of the members here--thanks for a great site! I'll post pics of my car when i finally snag one.

On another note, what would it take (in terms of equipment and money) to bring a standard ZX3 to SVT or near-SVT levels? Thanks!

--Nick

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Welcome to FocusFanatics.com! [thumb]

The only model focus I'd stay away from is the 2000 year as there is a ton of bugs, recalls, flaws in that model. Some of that spilled into the start of the 2001 year focus (fuel pump issues) but they are on a recall so regardless, you can get that fixed or it should be fixed on the car your buying.

Good luck with your future purchase!! To bring a standard ZX3 to a SVT level in performance, well it depends on what engine your running. Either way, you'll spend quite a bit to get the performance up to a SVT level unless your running the 2.3L Duratec which is in the newer models (but you on a price budget) your probably going to look for a ZX3 with the Zetec engine and that being said, you'll need most of the bolt ons to get up to the SVT stage in performance. Lotsa $$$.....

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
S2 said:
The only model focus I'd stay away from is the 2000 year as there is a ton of bugs, recalls, flaws in that model. Some of that spilled into the start of the 2001 year focus (fuel pump issues) but they are on a recall so regardless, you can get that fixed or it should be fixed on the car your buying.
haven't had any problems besides the fuel pump with my 2K.[thumb]

@bludevil,

welcome and hope you find your car.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Welcome bludevil!

GL on your search for a Focus. You will be very happy with it, I am sure. You prolly won't spend too much time on the forums since you will be having so much fun driving it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ZX3_Chick said:
You prolly won't spend too much time on the forums since you will be having so much fun driving it!
haha, i hope so! i'll post some pics when i snag one in late august. thanks for all the welcomes!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Just for kicks I checked out what you can get for $6500 in NC... Not as many as I thought, but there were a few I might have considered myself. I wonder if a rule of thumb is lots of aftermarket stuff = driven hard...? Could be an unfair assessment but I'd be looking for an older owner who kept it stock. Good hunting!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts