Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fine folks of Focus Fanatics

I am new to the membership, having recently acquired a 2013 Focus Hatchback.

I did not start out with the goal of purchasing the Focus, but rather was hunting the VW GTI.

However, the cost of the GTI was somewhat offputting, and the thought of being tethered to premium gas again was a also a bit disheartening.

I'm a soccer dad, and wanted something that put together safe, fun, good handling, and a fair bit of usable space in a package that was economical to own. The Focus was the choice that seemed to tick all of the boxes.

As an owner for about 5 days, all I can say is that I am very impressed with the vehicle. The fun factor is definitely there, perhaps a little down on power but a fair trade for the fuel economy and regular gas. My kids fit in fine, and I will be confident when I turn the car over to my first driver - when she gets there.

If I was able to get a manual trans I would've been completely happy - but, alas, wifey was not down with the row-ur-own sickness.

I am hopeful that the long term durability of the hatch will prove up to the task.....but at this point, I am very confident going in.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hey Joe, the GTI is a sexy beast for sure, and I think it fair to say that there is a trace of German engineering in the feel of the Focus.

I noted your comment that the car could use more power. My '14 Ti DCT has the Injected Engineering tune, (Injected is a sponsor on this site, and is local to me--Kennesaw, GA) and I happen to be running the program for 93 Octane, the one that gives the best performance. (The tuner has 3"programs" 87,91 and 93 Octane and Stock ).

Over the weekend, I took the car back to "stock" (i.e. the way the car comes from the factory) after having driven the car for two months programmed for 93. Why did I do that--just to see the difference, that's all. My car came with the tune and tuner, and I had never driven the car "stock".

The driving experience is totally different, night and day different. Most notable are the throttle response off the line and thru the gears, and the smooth and quick "kick down" when power is needed for passing, merging and perhaps getting out of the way of something.

There is a significant amount of information on this forum about "tuning", if you're interested. Either way, enjoy your Focus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all!

@Roswell - I agree the Focus has a "german" feel, very tight, flat sharp chassis dynamic - reminds me of the E30 M3 I had, which also liked to tach well, and could throw into turns with abandon....

In wanting for a bit more power (or a significant JennyCraig plan), my OE development experience has me none surprised that there was some performance left on the table for a "tune"....there usually is - only because as an OE one has to stay within permitted agency parameters, a tuner would be less restricted (usually).

That said, I don't think I would pursue a tune to chase power at the cost of requiring higher octane at the pump. Woulda been nice for a 2.3L or 2.5L to scratch/crack that 200 line, and still provide for decent MPG and stay on the regular vs. premium side of things. As cool as the GTI was, and as nice as the MPG could be, running premium kind of negated any savings for me in my transition from the minivan.

At this point I remain extremely impressed with the powertrain and the chassis...and yep I fall into the 14M01 category with my build date, but as of yet have not exhibited symptoms.

We shall see what time will illuminate....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts