Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased (on E-bay) 2 new struts for the rear door of my 2001 Focus wagon.

They arrived on Tuesday fully extended.

I tried pushing on them but they are LOCKED in the extended position.

Is their some kind of release clip or something I am not aware of so the rods can be retracted. Something I'm supposed to turn or twist?

I contacted the seller - who apparently is in China or Japan - although they are listed on E/B with a USA address....

Anybody know what to do? Q - aka CUE

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I have not done this on a Focus yet, but did on a Mitsu a couple years ago. I can barely remember the details, but the new shocks SEEMED like they were locked but were not locked. Installing them on the car; and the weight of the liftgate will unlock them.

You will have to remove/disconnect both of the old shocks before you can install the new ones.

I used and recommend Strong Arm brand and distributor LiftSupportsDepot.com running out of CA USA.

Edit: StrongArm 4358 Ford Focus Tailgate 2000-03
http://www.amazon.com/StrongArm-435...qid=1421862837&sr=8-1&keywords=strongarm+4358

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Have you tried this yet?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I went out in my freezing cold garage (Buffalo NY) and pushed on the strut and found it will retract slightly with extreme force - So then I opened the rear door on the Focus Wagon, and tried to install the new struts - only to discover that in the extended position (as received from Ebay) the strut is about 1 - 1/2 to 2 inches too long. While trying to hook up the new struts I BROKE THE PLASTIC end on both of the new struts.... so now I don't know what to do.... BTW your suggestion was right on - but due to pilot error - it didn't work - Q

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Cold and plastic don't mix well at times. Cold and shocks/struts don't either.

It's 50 here right now and is supposed to get up 58 on Sunday. Warmest January on record here.

·
Registered
710 Posts
those little struts are pretty tough to collapse when brand new
Guys often think by changing just one new one that they fixed the problem however the problem reappears shortly after
Not sure why everyone sells them as singles but they do
I also recommend Strongarm units

Take a look at rockauto.com if you are still in the market if the Ebay ones dont work out for you

·
Taciturn. Your turn.
2,212 Posts
Thanks - I went out in my freezing cold garage (Buffalo NY) and pushed on the strut and found it will retract slightly with extreme force - So then I opened the rear door on the Focus Wagon, and tried to install the new struts - only to discover that in the extended position (as received from Ebay) the strut is about 1 - 1/2 to 2 inches too long. While trying to hook up the new struts I BROKE THE PLASTIC end on both of the new struts.... so now I don't know what to do.... BTW your suggestion was right on - but due to pilot error - it didn't work - Q
See if the plastic ends unscrew, usually they do, which means you can use your old ones as spares.

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
^Now that is smart

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestion - the end clips on both new shocks are broke! I tried to unscrew one of the 'old' strut ends off but it looked a little smaller in diameter - and it would not come off. I contacted the seller on E/B and they requested a photo of the broken parts.....I'm going to shoot the pictures and send them back to the E/B seller and see if they will replace the ends.... then if I get new end clips I will take my car over to someone who can install 'em for me... Thanks for the help - de CUE aka Q

·
Jetsetter
6,657 Posts
Many auto parts stores sell the struts and might have the ends that screw on. Might be worth stopping in and seeing what they have to get it fixed right away and not a few weeks from now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHAT Ahhhh good idea. I will look around and see if I can buy just the end pieces - then I'm going to have someone who is stronger than I - hook 'em up thanks for the...

........GOOD IDEA!

CUE - aka Q

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I measured the outside diameter of the new and old shocks and they are the same. I was going to try and switch the broken end pieces - old ends on the new struts!

Then I took some pictures of the broken ends - then over to a local repair shop. The manager of the repair shop said these new struts are defective - because it is impossible to push the rod back into the gas canister. So, I Emailed the Ebay seller with the pictures he requested and a request for two replacement struts....Q

1 - 13 of 13 Posts