Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you activate new blank keys, and new blank remotes will the original keys and remotes be disabled?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If you only have one key the dealer is your only option. But the programmed new key will match your old key...

·
Registered
481 Posts
If you activate new blank keys, and new blank remotes will the original keys and remotes be disabled?
You can activate 2 new keys retaining the same info for your old keys or you can also have the old keys wiped from your cars memory.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can activate 2 new keys retaining the same info for your old keys or you can also have the old keys wiped from your cars memory.
I can have the old remotes wiped from the cars memory too then, right? The reason I ask is because after I do the keys I'm going to a shop to have an alarm / remote start put in, and they include new remotes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay here are the full details of what I want to do... Like I already said, I only have one original set of keys. I don't know what happened to the other set, if they're lost, or if someone else has them...

I've read about the problem with the ignition cylinders in these cars, and that its a good idea to replace the cylinder before any problems can arise. So I want to replace the ignition cylinder as well as the cylinders from the front door, and rear hatch...

I want to buy a whole new set of keys and cylinders for the sake of the preventive maintenance, and to protect the car from being broken into if someone does have my other original set of keys...

After the new cylinders are installed, and the new keys are activated I want to have an alarm / remote start put in, which includes new remotes...

I want only the new keys and remotes to be active. So I want to make sure the originals will be disabled.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Okay here are the full details of what I want to do... Like I already said, I only have one original set of keys. I don't know what happened to the other set, if they're lost, or if someone else has them...

I've read about the problem with the ignition cylinders in these cars, and that its a good idea to replace the cylinder before any problems can arise. So I want to replace the ignition cylinder as well as the cylinders from the front door, and rear hatch...

I want to buy a whole new set of keys and cylinders for the sake of the preventive maintenance, and to protect the car from being broken into if someone does have my other original set of keys...

After the new cylinders are installed, and the new keys are activated I want to have an alarm / remote start put in, which includes new remotes...

I want only the new keys and remotes to be active. So I want to make sure the originals will be disabled.
If you are replacing all the locks then you can request a different cut on the key so regardless of programming the old keys will not even fit in the cylinders.

BTW replacing all the locks as preventitive maintenance is a little overkill. Making sure they are well lubed and working you should be fine.

If someone has your keys and has not broken into/stolen your car yet they probably aren't going to.

If your new alarm has their own remotes then the factory remotes are a moot point.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, changing all the locks might be a little overkill, but I figured since I want to do the ignition anyway, I might as well play it safe and do it this way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts