Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost one of my keys. The remaining key is apparently too old and worn for the local hardware store to make a fully working replacement, which goes into the ignition, turns all the way, but does not activate the starter. Will I have to/be able to get a new key from a ford dealer? Should I try another hardware store?Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I believe any Ford dealer can cut a key from your VIN number. You do have to bring your car to the dealer.
(so folks cannot just write down a VIN, make a key, and steal a car)

Perhaps your remaining key is not in the PATS system?

Because IF it turns the ignition lock that should start the car.. except for PATS.
Is your battery good?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Elizabeth. My battery seems to be fine, but I will test it when I get home. From what I have been reading here about the PATS, I will need a Ford blank with a PATS chip, which will need to be cut, and then programmed to be compatible with the code in my PATS collar on the steering column. Either a Ford dealer or hi-tech auto locksmith must do this because it requires (apparently) an expensive computer program. I doubt there is such an auto lock smith between here and Boston, so off to the dealer I go.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Correct Ford with a VIN can cut you another key , you will have to have 2 keys to set the PATS for the keys (they can do it with one but dont like to)

Shop around for the lowest price at a Ford dealer to get the PATS/ECU reset some charge 50.00 and some charge 150.00 , also ask if you take your own key if Ford will cut it as you can find thePATS Keys much cheaper on EBAY

Tom

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey, if you figure out a way to use the chip in your current key then a good lock smith should be able to cut you one for probably cheaper than a dealer. And no, I don't mean copy. If he's good he can look at the worn down key and estimate what it originally looked like. I had this happen and work for a Nissan truck I had. Good luck

·
Registered
438 Posts
My recently purchased 00 Focus only came with one key.
I was at the dealer yesterday and asked about reprogramming another key.
New key blank: $25
Program: $47

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I lost one of my keys. The remaining key is apparently too old and worn for the local hardware store to make a fully working replacement, which goes into the ignition, turns all the way, but does not activate the starter. Will I have to/be able to get a new key from a ford dealer? Should I try another hardware store?Thanks for any input.
From what I have been reading here about the PATS, I will need a Ford blank with a PATS chip, which will need to be cut, and then programmed to be compatible with the code in my PATS collar on the steering column. Either a Ford dealer or hi-tech auto locksmith must do this because it requires (apparently) an expensive computer program.
Hey Mainest,

You're my first official post! I’m excited and nervous at the same time…

Since your Focus is equipped with the PATS system, the engine will not start unless a correctly coded programmed key is used. So I’m glad to hear you're heading over to the dealership; they’ll have that new key in your hand in no time flat.

You also have the option of purchasing additional keys and programming them yourself. The instructions on how to do so are on page 62 of the: OwnersGuide

Noemi [:)]

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Noemi,
Thanks for your response. I did, in fact, visit Varney Ford in Newport, Maine. They were excellent! They cut and programmed a new key at a very reasonable price, and helped me with some additional issues I've been having.
I appreciate your taking the time to help me.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
modelt1908

Noemi,
Thanks for your response. I did, in fact, visit Varney Ford in Newport, Maine. They were excellent! They cut and programmed a new key at a very reasonable price, and helped me with some additional issues I've been having.
I appreciate your taking the time to help me.
Hello Mainest,

I'm very happy to learn your experience satisfactory.

Wish you and yours a safe holiday season!

Noemi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts