Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as a couple of you know I've been talking to ITG about a new intake they are designing for a while... got some new pix and have a pic of the show kit for you guys. It's a very different intake design from the rest that are out right now. I should get a prototype one by the end of the month hopefully and have a review with more pix done for you guys early next month. The kit will be sold through Focus Sport. Here are some pix.

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
Since you already have the Volant, it would be nice if you could run a dyno with the Volant then the ITG.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
That thing is BAD, too cool man. I wonder what the business end is up there. Looks like ITG is using some sort of software to do the computational fluid dynamics and increase the charge density and swirl. They've got what looks like a swirl geometry on the very end right into a aerodynamic nozzle. Unless they are going sonic at the throat of that nozzle there isn't any reason for that. EuroZX3, any word on how it works or what makes it special?

·
Registered
103 Posts
itg is awesome. i have no doubt that this kit is going to be one of the best (at least i'm hoping).

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
It looks like something out of the space age.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
(ZX3_chick... it is the space age)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm trying to find a place that will let me do a dyno like that when i get my cam gears too. ill need like 7 or 8 pulls and i dont want to pay out of the arse. but ill tune my cam gears, then throw the Volant on, then throw the ITG and see what happens...

bwojdyla your theory on how it works is pretty close. Ill shoot them another email for the details and see what the MSRP is going to be on it.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
k this is a simple description commenting the design of the intake...

The intake is designed to reduce the amount of turbulence around the filter by slowing air down through neck of the box and using the increasing volume of the box to expand the air evenly around the filter. Air pressure is also retrieved from air velocity as it passes through the neck using the airs own inertia to produce a mild ram effect when feathering the throttle resulting in crisper throttle response

as far as retail a US price has yet to be determined but it will be more expensive than the volant. not a cheapy here. Hopefully once i get it on and on a dyno we will see if its worth it.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
keep us updated...
i would sell my volant and get thet one...

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I wouldn't go about selling anything yet. While this intake looks nice, being carbon fiber and all its bound to be pricey.

Heres an example, a volant is around $ 250.00, what if this ITG setup is $ 350.00? For me, spending $ 250.00 on an intake is alot. I got my volant for $ 150.00 so it wasn't to bad.

I am also not too sure about the design. I do not question ITG's methods at all since they do make filters for a living. I just think its an untried idea, only having one path for incoming airflow. Also the fact that the filter will be close to the housing. In the volant for example there is ample room between filter and airbox.

It will be hard to figure dyno #'s because on a dyno this filter is contained, where as most others are open to ambient air. This intake would shine better when the vehicle is moving.

As far as it being worth it at a price above the volant, I don't see that at all. I think it will be more of a show piece.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
probably you will have to take the headlight out to make it work...

question...have anyone found an alternative to the volant cone filter ?

·
FF #1 Most Wanted
6,890 Posts
[offtopic]
Question:
Does the Volant filter suck balls or something?
I thought that the Volant filter is re-usable..?
Why are people with Volant's wanting a different filter ?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Good question, I'd like to know the answer to that too.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
So, is this non-SVT Zetec only or do we get a crack at these things too? It looks awesome, and I'm guessing that's where they will help to justify the higher price - there are plenty of filters out there that look almost like home made hack-jobs, some people might be willing to spend more to get a very professional looking product.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts