Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good bye FS Intake

With the high temps and recent post about folks with short rams experiencing detonation, I decided I wanted to migrate to a CAI and ended up snagging a PiperCross Viper intake. I havent really seen any pics around of one installed on our car, so I thought I would show you what I ended up with.

Here is what I got:

I ended up with an extra length of hose that I coupled together with some clamps and a small section of aluminum 3" ducting. In this pic they are already joined.

Say good bye to the old intake:

I was actually thinking about leaving the heatshield in place, but later discovered its not needed. The CF filter housing on the PiperCross retains no heat from the engine. I drove it around to run some errands and when I got home, I promptly popped the hood and felt the filter housing....cool to the touch.

Here is the filter installed:

The filter is mounted to a small braket that comes with the intake. Mounting is was easy...you simply pull one of the rubber plugs that the stock intake pluged into on the bottom, and use that hole to mount the bracket. The filter/housing clamp directly onto the MAF and you run that clamp through the bracket as well and all fits nicely.

Next we just pop on the hose attachment and run the hose:

I ran the hose back around the same way the stock snorkel went....right between the top of the tranny and the underside of the battery.

I ended up relocating one of my horns by just taking the bracket off, hammering it flat and remounting it to the same hole. This made room for my to mount the other end of the intake hose like so:

so that from the front, it is grabbing air from directly behind the front grill:

Comparison - The sound is definitely quieter in comparison to the FS Cool-Flo. Doesnt sound as mean, but I noticed its got a lil more oomph on the low end vs. the FS intake and when its hot, it doesnt bog nearly as bad... ie. no heat soak.

Would I call it an upgrade? Fo' Shizzle! Its nice to get that little extra on the low end. Also I find its really nice to have the benefits of a CAI, but still reap the bene's of a Short Ram. Should i ever NOT want to pull air from up front, I can simply pop the hood and disconnect the hose....with no tools needed.

Next addition to this will be a catch can...that should go in this coming weekend.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol...yeah, thats right beotch! [slap]

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Very nice set-up, I like it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Looks very very nice.

One question about the aluminum section. When I was making my "SRI Cold Air Duct" I used some 3" flexible aluminum ducting that looked just like that. I noticed that since the ducting runs right on top of the tranny, it gets very hot (hot enough to burn). So after a little searching, I found similar ducting made out of plastic at Pep Boys and have been running it for about a week. It hasn't melted yet, and it gets nowhere as warm as the aluminum (also flows VERY good- used a hair dryer to test [:D] ). Does yours get hot like that too??

Here are a couple of crappy pictures I took with my camera phone, I'll probably take some more detailed ones later.

I'm also going to reposition the "in" side a little to the left, and maybe do something on the "out" side, although I am not sure what quite yet.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
on the pics I have seen with the pipercross they ran it to the right of the battery and the hose did'nt make that sharp turn like yous does. I wonder if that would make a difference? I know the hose would probably be a little squished going to the right of the batt. but thats just how I have seen it ran. Also did it take any away from your top end? Or just add low end?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Wow did I start a trend with the flex tubing lol. Nice to see other people doing this, it really makes a huge difference, sleestak I did the exact same thing with the horn and putting the tubing through there, I just dont have the bell opening. Good work....

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks all for the comments!

ArtooD2 - I only used a very short piece of ducting...maybe 3" long...and stuck it inside the pipercross hose. I left a littel hanging out and put the other hose end on it. basically it just helped me clamp them together. I havent noticed any issues with the hose getting hot just yet, but will keep my eye on it. It doesnt touch the tranny at all due to the way i have it stretched and also there is a small bar that keeps it from touching....not sure what it is, but it runs across the front/top corner of the tranny.

SleepyBoy - I had thought about running it to the right of the battery, but it is a tight squeeze and would require cutting the bottom right portion of the battery box out and I wasnt sure about that metal piece that runs behind the battery, do I have to cut that too? I had eyeballed it a bit and then decided that I didnt mind the bend in the hose....afterall, i have seen all kinds of bends in the AEM intakes and such and this bend isnt much more...after that it drops underneath and makes a straight shot to the grill.

I know its sucking the air as well as getting it pushed in...so I dont think this set up would effect performance in anyway. If anything a little heat on the hose. I will have to check it. If I am feeling crafty later I may go at it.

As for the top end...kinda hard to say really. Its quieter than the FS, so that kinda plays a mental game. I honestly dont feel anything different other than a little nicer launch and it runs better on hot days.

Silverstreak- thought about that...believe me I did. It would have saved me one fog light to keep replacing, lol. I think if I was doing a track day, I would relocate it there. It would only take 15 minutes to do.

Anaxagoras - PM sent

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep. thanks...I am liking the intake a lot. hell, if its good enough for WRC that says enough.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
..:: sleestak ::.. said:
thanks all for the comments!

SleepyBoy - I had thought about running it to the right of the battery, but it is a tight squeeze and would require cutting the bottom right portion of the battery box out and I wasnt sure about that metal piece that runs behind the battery, do I have to cut that too? I had eyeballed it a bit and then decided that I didnt mind the bend in the hose....afterall, i have seen all kinds of bends in the AEM intakes and such and this bend isnt much more...after that it drops underneath and makes a straight shot to the grill.

I know its sucking the air as well as getting it pushed in...so I dont think this set up would effect performance in anyway. If anything a little heat on the hose. I will have to check it. If I am feeling crafty later I may go at it.

As for the top end...kinda hard to say really. Its quieter than the FS, so that kinda plays a mental game. I honestly dont feel anything different other than a little nicer launch and it runs better on hot days.

Anaxagoras - PM sent

yeah I guess your right. I don't have the batt. box cause I bought my car used and it did'nt come with one. So would'nt have that problem.

Off topic but I have a camgear for sale are you interested in it? Its blue brand new perffect for the SVT

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
perhaps if I had more work done to my car, but I really dont see me getting anything out of it....plus finding someone locally to help tune it and such is damn tough.

thanks though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
[/IMG] Had to run the hose down where the old stock air feed was.The bell almost reaches the bottom grill but i zip tied to hang from the brace down there. it really made a difference over my home cone filter on the MAF. Sorry if the image is big.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Is there room to run the hose & bell over to the HRW cowl-induction area by the fuse box? I'd think that would provide the double-benefit of getting some pressurized air into the horn and shortning the hose-length the air passed through collecting underhood heat.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I can't see that being worth $350, i think one could be fabricated to do the same exact thing and yeild the same gains.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
yeah probably but pipercross make air intake for the WRC focus's so they can demand the high price and from what I understand is there from arcoss the pond in europe. Thats another increase in price right there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ok ok ok... so i'm kinda stupid... but where the hell do you get one of those and what is it actually called?

How much better is it then like a CAI?

Or a SRI?

How much?...

anydown side?

my next add-on was going to be something to do with my little focus breathing better... just wanting to know what works best for the money. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
- Its called a pipercross viper intake system.
- Supposed to be the best intake for the Focus
- made of composite carbon fiber/kevlar to reduce heatsoak normally associated with metal CAI's
- Draws air from the front of the car or wherever you can find a source of cold air.
- Supposed to keep IAT's within a few degress of ambient temps all the time
- $350
- Look at the price
- Just get a JRSC... u know u want one... then u can add one of these too [thumb]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts