Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done installing a new Random Tech cat-pipe and a Bosal flex. It went pretty good, but when we got done we had an exhaust leak at the manifold. We worked on that and thought we got rid of it. When I got home I noticed strange noise at low to medium rpm's. It's kinda like a rattle or vibration. It's really strange. It's hard to describe. Has anyone else noticed any strange noises with a Random Tech cat?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I got that same problem Lil Red, but it seems to be from idle to around 2k, maybe a hair more. Sounds like a slush/vibration kinda noise. Im pretty sure mine is coming from the tranny though. I'm gonna change the fluid tonight or tomorrow and see if it helps it. Let the Car get cold and see if it makes the noise... mine is especially noticeable when the car is warm.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
check the lower bracket near the flex-pipe...then check the screws at the exhaust manifold to the header...afer you went for a decent drive to get the temps up you should have came back and tightened everything...or at least have made sure everything was tight

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We had it good and warm, and then re-tightened. I'll double check that, but if that's not it what could it be?

·
Registered
10,024 Posts
did you remove all the old cat brackets and bolts?

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
a crappy gasket from the manifold to the random tech...very known to do this

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where can I get a good gasket? Maybe I should just get a FR header and it should come with a better gasket.

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
any quality header comes with one, hell, even my pacesetter came with a decent one...check at local speed shops, thats where i purchased mine when i did the rand. tech...just made some adjustments to it.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Local speeds shops? I wish. We live in the middle of nowhere! Then again, Howell Automotive is not far away....................

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would like to add that other than the noise problem, the performance is a lot better now. I can definitely feel some added horses, woohoo!!!

·
AKA Toyotech
4,043 Posts
well...then go to a local car quest, advance auto, autozone, kar parts, rice boys, r&s strauss...whatever you have, and ask...i'm sure they have some to help you out.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
Haha. You read our minds. We've decided to get a FR header this week instead of a new rifle....lol.

·
Mtn. Dew
7,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is a good gasket made out of anyway? What makes the one that comes with the cat so crappy? Is it just a cheap gasket or what?
Another question: The cat came with aluminum bolts, are these any good?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts