11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hatch...

close up of amps...

kicks...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Pretty nice. Are those Q-forms that you used for the kick panels or did you use a different brand?? How does it sound??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the alpine type r's are very nice for the price. best component set I could find for under 150. got them from ikesound of ebay. yes the kicks are qforms, and the positioning is 10 times better than stock. strongly recomend them for the person who wants custom sound, but is not into doing fiberglass. the 15 hits pretty hard too. I had 2 in there, but couldn't carry a gallon of milk, much less golf clubs. this setup lets me store my laptop, a spare pair of b-ball shoes for the spontaneous game, and a couple of tools. there is room behind the sub box as well. that room will be converted to a tool storage area to keep the tools out of site and the hatch clean. I love the simple, no wires, no clutter look.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks! they are JBL amps. 180.2 for the front, 1200.1 for the sub. i thought the front was ugly, so I did this to change it up some.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
The amp/sub setup looks sweet, neat components too. Why did you use the q-logic kick panels though, why invest in great components and stage them by your feet lol, my feet don't hear too well. With my components, i mounted 5.25 woofers in a 6x8 custom plexiglass mounting plate and my tweeters in the molding in the door trim.

·
Focus Enthusiast
2,208 Posts
The kickpanels can be really nie to have though with equal pathlengths, if you want to raise the soundstage it can be done with an eq or another set of tweeters up higher, eq is probably better unless you can get a level control for the higher tweeters, i have both though, sounds great. Nice install by the way.

- Scott

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
CowsGoMoo said:
The amp/sub setup looks sweet, neat components too. Why did you use the q-logic kick panels though, why invest in great components and stage them by your feet lol, my feet don't hear too well. With my components, i mounted 5.25 woofers in a 6x8 custom plexiglass mounting plate and my tweeters in the molding in the door trim.
why point the speakers at your knees? my knees don't hear that well. joking aside, there is no perfect mounting pace, especially in a compact. something is always going to be in the way. knees, feet, legs, whatever. I like the kicks because, when aimed right, they don't sound like they are coming from the floor. in the factory location, the sound was very localized. meaning I could hear the indivual speakers. just by dropping in the kicks, I lifted the soundstage to about mid chest (not quite wehre I want it, but better than before) and eliminated most of the gap in the center of the soundstage. it was a huge improvement over the stock locations. of course, it helps to pick a component set with a good off-axis response

1 - 11 of 11 Posts