Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, contemplating (beginning stages) getting a new CD player for the little Focus. I currently have the 6006, non-Audiophile, non-Blaupunkt one. And surprisingly, it has never eaten one (or more) of my CDs! I think I'm living on borrowed time due to some of the stories I've seen with this unit.

Anyway, I was looking on Crutchfield, and I clicked Satellite ready to narrow my search. But then I got to wondering, becuase one HU showed it came with a tuner + antenna, another just came with the tuner (small black box looking thing?)... Well I already have a Roady receiver which was installed by Best Buy (so I don't know the wiring details myself). This makes me wonder A) would I need a tuner or just the XM HU would be ok? B) if I wanted to keep using the Roady, I don't need a sat-ready HU at all right? I'm assuming any new HU would have a connection like to whatever the 6006 is using to interface with the Roady's wiring?

So basically, do I need a tuner if I've already got XM? My sound criteria otherwise, is approaching nil, I'm not an avid ICE person. I have no plans for subs/amps and IF I ever swap out my stock speakers it won't be anything fancy. So my needs are simple, I want to keep my satellite radio, I'm addicted. Also if possible, I would like a HU that lights up totally or mostly Blue. Also, (do they even make these) another 6-disc up front set-up would be nice. I don't wanna buy a changer and I really only own about 6 CDs so I keep them all loaded at once. [:D] Am I asking too much?!

After a quick look-see, I'm eyeballing this puppy... mainly because I'm a sucker for a special. Any good (I'd have to keep my Roady I guess)? 4096 colors, how is that even possible!?
Blaupunkt Monterrey

·
Registered
549 Posts
the Roady is a self contained satellite radio tuner. If you keep your roady, all of your satellite radio information will be displayed in its screen. You will need to pipe the audio from the Roady (via 3.5mm output) to a CD player's auxiliary input (for best sound). the alternative would be to buy a deck that was SAT RADIO READY. this means that the deck is CAPABLE of displaying the sat radio information on its screen. You would need to buy a dedicated tuner (which would plug in through a dedicated port such as the cd changer) So, it comes down to what you really want to do.

Chances are, the way that the roady is connected to your OE radio is through either a wireless, or wired modulator... which IMO gives 'eh - at best' sound quality. definitely want to consider something that has a dedicated input for your audio. again, whether or not you care to have something else 'mounted' in the vehicle is up to you.

do they make an aftermark in dash 6disc changer? The only company I can think of is Nakamichi, and I can't remmeber if they've stopped being made. If Blau made a PLAIN JANE (solid black, no flashing anything) I would buy one....

-john
SQF

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I looked and I'm not so sure that they do make any in-dash 6 discs. Seems odd, that Ford would and no (or few) aftermarkets? But anyway.

Now that you mention it, I believe I did buy a wired modulator (original Roady doesn't have wireless capability, like the current Roady XT does). And it sounds fine to me, but if the AUX thing just requries a HU with Aux and like one cable, I could probably swing that. I'm not willing to invest more in it, because quite frankly, I can't hear the difference! "eh- at best" sounds "pretty frickin good" to my untuned ears[:)~]

·
Detailing Freak
348 Posts
^^^ buy a new h/u with the sat rad built in... much cleaner looking, and you dont need to worry about running the wires/ mounting the old one... if your going for the deck... might as well

·
Registered
549 Posts
Now depending on the type of auxiliary input (front/rear/3.5mm headphone/RCA style)... you will only need to connect one wire between the roady and the aftermarket stereo. Obviously, you'll still need to have the antenna and power plug into the roady. But yes, just one wire.

As far as who does Aux inputs? just about all decks these days have capability for it. Some may require an aux-in adapter.

-john
SQF

1 - 5 of 5 Posts