Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, Im new to the site... My name is Tim. I currently drive a '02 Mustang and I am looking to a '04 SVT Focus off my friends hands. Right now the Focus has been sitting up for about 3 months due to the clutch that exploded (it even ripped a hole in the bell housing about an inch wide x 4 inches long!) Anyway despite the cars present condition I am confident the car has been kept up. It has approx. 60k on the odometer, no radio, and normal wear and tear inside and out. I am looking to take over the payments on this car cuz my buddy is tired of paying for it (long story there) I asked him what he still owed on the car and he told me just under 8 thousand.

So what I am doing here is wanting to know what else I should look for in this car before I seal the deal. I can take the car with the problems that I know about. Im just worried about the other crap these cars come with that I dont know about.

And by the way... Im not the one buying the replacement parts for the clutch job. I will help him put it in and get it back running but HE will buy the parts LOL

Any help all here will be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
373 Posts
VCT Gasket, IMRC Moudule (If car is throwing P1518 or the like), DSI Clip, Thermostat housing o-ring, broken cat bracket. I'm sure there is more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Most of the issues are small fixes. Once you get her back into running shape, you'll find yourself behind the wheel of the Focus more than the Mustang [hihi]

·
Registered
373 Posts
Most of the issues are small fixes. Once you get her back into running shape, you'll find yourself behind the wheel of the Focus more than the Mustang [hihi]
That's no lie... You can't toss the mustang around like the focus [race]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah you guys are right that I will be driving the SVT more than the stang. I am buying this to be my gas sipping DD. I have plans to spend some big money on my Mustang in the next year. I only plan on driving it for shows and week end type cruises... Other than that I plan on parking the mustang. Plus Im going to have to have something to drive while the mustang has all the various work done to it too. This SVT Focus looks like a cool little car. Its got the 6 speed tranny that I think Im gonna love. I have been told that its no slouch when it comes to performance. I hear that its almost as fast as a stock mustang GT.

On a different note.. I may toy around with this car a lil bit by putting nitrous on it. I have always been too afraid of it to try it on my beloved mustang. How big of a shot (wet or dry) can these lil 4 bangers handle with out exploding? Hmm... Im going to do a quick search for that now. Keep the info coming guys! I need all the help I can get! LOL

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You don't want to do a dry shot on an SVTF, People have tuned for and run a 75 shot on the SVT, the key is in the tune, making sure it gets enough fuel. As fast as a stock 'Stang? Hmm maybe the original SOHC modular GTs but the SVT is not a straight line car, rules in the twisties though. 8k is a lot for a car that needs major work including possibly a new tranny. For comparison, I paid $9500 for a 2004 Euro package SVT with a supercharger and 36k miles and no major mechanical issues...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You don't want to do a dry shot on an SVTF, People have tuned for and run a 75 shot on the SVT, the key is in the tune, making sure it gets enough fuel. As fast as a stock 'Stang? Hmm maybe the original SOHC modular GTs but the SVT is not a straight line car, rules in the twisties though. 8k is a lot for a car that needs major work including possibly a new tranny. For comparison, I paid $9500 for a 2004 Euro package SVT with a supercharger and 36k miles and no major mechanical issues...
Wow good info here!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought of another question too....

Does the SVTF come with forged internals like the '03 and '04 SVT Cobras? If so, how much HP has been put through these engines under forced induction? I know the 4V 4.6L in the Cobras can run 800 HP really safe with a good tune on it.

I know Im asking a lot here today. I thank you guys for your help too. I have been in the process of searching for some of my answers and have found quite a lot of info too.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
The SVT has forged rods. The pistons are the weak point for high HP numbers. With a really good tune, a couple of members here put down more than 350 to front wheels with an upgraded clutch, an LSD and some bottom end work.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Thought of another question too....

Does the SVTF come with forged internals like the '03 and '04 SVT Cobras? If so, how much HP has been put through these engines under forced induction? I know the 4V 4.6L in the Cobras can run 800 HP really safe with a good tune on it.

I know Im asking a lot here today. I thank you guys for your help too. I have been in the process of searching for some of my answers and have found quite a lot of info too.
The SVT 2.0 is capable of some pretty good power density. For example, that 4.6L 4V Terminator maxed out will push around 170whp/liter. My supercharged SVT which is the 2nd least powerful kit for the car makes about 120whp/liter and I plan on upping the boost and working on airflow soon to edge up to 250-255whp. Turboing is the way to go for serious power, several members here have broken well into the 300's some on stock internals, some built.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts