Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am Brian. I am new to this forum. You guys have a very nice website here. Thanks for having me. Anyway, long story short I sold my '04 STi and purchased a '02 Sonic Blue SVTF about a month ago. I ditched my car payment at the same time YEAH! Anyway, my SVTF only has 25,500 miles on it and tonight on the way home from work I reach down to grab the next gear and I have NONE! I have no gears at all in my shifter. I can move the shifter around a complete 360 degrees almost like its not connected underneath the car. Does this sound like the transmission/clutch issues Ford has released in the techincal service bulletins? I need to get the SVTF to a dealer tomorrow and its sitting in some parking lot close to my house ungaraged. I don't have any spare money as I just payed cashed for this car. I really hope warranty will cover this in my powertrain warranty??? Also, how do I locate an SVT dealer in my area. I don't want to just take it to any Ford dealer. I need a tow truck too! Damn..!! Any advice or suggestions you guys have for me would be greatly appreciated. What is the powertrain warranty on this car anyway? Thanks guys.

By the way here is a pic of the SVTF that is no longer drivable!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Sounds almost like your cables came off. Have you checked a carfax or other means of checking to see if the car is unharmed? Open the hood and see if the cables at the trans are still intact.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
Thats a gorgeous car. [thumb]

Sounds like the shift cable popped off to me, pull up the leather boot around the shifter and look for a cable and a ball joint it should be sitting on, if its off pop it back on there.

I am not too familure with the SVT shifter so I could be wrong but its a good place to start looking.

Welcome to FF

Jon

*edit*

Damn mike you beat me to it.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
Hey Jon!

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
I can also check for any tsb's for you and will be happy to do so in the morning for you, welcome to FF by the way!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK guys. I can check those area's in the morning as its dark outside now. Guess I will be calling into work. Any chance one of you guys might be able to snap a picture of the area in the engine bay I should be looking??? Also the shifter if need be? I am new to the Focus platform and only know the Subaru platform well. Thanks again for the help. It's been a long day. [?|]

Oh btw... the carfax was clean as was the Oasis reports. No sign of any major work ever unless an ECU reflash is considered major... lol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The shift linkage under the hood is kinda below the fuse box. right behind the stock air box. something must have popped off if you can move the shifter like that. If there's nothing there, check the linkages under the shifter itself, there should be a write up about installing a short throw shifter on this site, it'll show you how to get to the linkages under the shifter.

And welcome, your new SVT might not have the spunk of that STi though.

·
FF Cleaning Squad
11,959 Posts
the shifter on the focus does not go through the floor and to the tranny like most cars. The shifter just sits on its base on the center colum and the cable is hooked to it.

Here is how to get the boot up...

Sitting in either seat, grab the bottom of the shifter boot. Where the boot touches the plastic.

Simply push it forward while lifting upward and then remove the rest of the way.

That simple, and if its all connected under there then you know its the cable to the tranny.

·
Registered
351 Posts
just so you know, this is a problem many have had, regardless if whether ALL gears were lost, or a few, or if the linkage was just sloppy, a LOT of people have experienced this. All i'm saying is, don't lose faith in the car, it's a known problem, with generally an easy fix. Welcome bro.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Thanks so much everyone. That helps tons! The SVT doesn't have the spunk of the STi but it does have the handling that is to die for. I can take turns much faster in my SVT then I could in the STi. The power in the SVT is ok. It could always be better though even on the STi. You can never have enough power because your body always adjusts to the platform. The STi is the ultimate car though bar none. At least in that price range.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. Say my shifter linkage at the tranny has poped off. Wouldn't the bolt that holds it in place be laying in the road that I lost the tranny on? How does the cable attatch if it is removed? I just need a pic of cables in place if anyone has something like? I can look for short shifter installs tomorrow as I sit home from my day off work...lol. Also, do I need to remove the airbox to see the area in question?

I did have a pretty hard shift on my 1-2 shift on the drive home tonight. Nothing that hard though. I am so lucky it didn't happen on the freeway I had just gotten off of! All I did was a quick sport shift as the car should be able to handle. The STi was always tight in this area. Is the shifter linkage that vunerable in this car?

Educate me guys. Got nothing better to do tonight and trying to stay positive about this. [;)] I do love my new SVT and I do have a few plans for it. [;)] I really hope and pray this is an easy fix.

I will post up another picture just for good luck...

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome 170. I live in denver also. I'm busy in the morning, but if you havn't resolved your issue by the afternoon email me where your at & I can come by & try to help you. I'v tried 3 SVT dealers on the east side of town & only trust burt ford. Its been 3 years since I needed service so I'm not sure if the same people are there. If you live north I'v heard good things about omear fords service. If you live west not sure which dealers are SVTF service. Click on my profile for email address which I will be checking durring the day. Good luck.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I love the way Sonic Blue looks on the 3 doors!
I'm sorry to hear about your tranny issues, but hopefully it will be an easy fix.

·
Registered
379 Posts
SVTF_170 said:
Thanks so much everyone. That helps tons! The SVT doesn't have the spunk of the STi but it does have the handling that is to die for. I can take turns much faster in my SVT then I could in the STi. The power in the SVT is ok. It could always be better though even on the STi. You can never have enough power because your body always adjusts to the platform. The STi is the ultimate car though bar none. At least in that price range.

Anyway, back to the topic on hand. Say my shifter linkage at the tranny has poped off. Wouldn't the bolt that holds it in place be laying in the road that I lost the tranny on? How does the cable attatch if it is removed? I just need a pic of cables in place if anyone has something like? I can look for short shifter installs tomorrow as I sit home from my day off work...lol. Also, do I need to remove the airbox to see the area in question?

I did have a pretty hard shift on my 1-2 shift on the drive home tonight. Nothing that hard though. I am so lucky it didn't happen on the freeway I had just gotten off of! All I did was a quick sport shift as the car should be able to handle. The STi was always tight in this area. Is the shifter linkage that vunerable in this car?

Educate me guys. Got nothing better to do tonight and trying to stay positive about this. [;)] I do love my new SVT and I do have a few plans for it. [;)] I really hope and pray this is an easy fix.

I will post up another picture just for good luck...

Well, given the sti's 25 % awd drivetrain loss, (stock sti's dyno around 225) and not to mention it's it's a complete porker, me thinks a few bolt on's will make the svt nearly as quick(from a rolling start at least) as the sti. Congrats on the svt and more importantly, getting out of debt. It's nice not to be a slave to your material possessions.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fordcus Fan said:
Welcome 170. I live in denver also. I'm busy in the morning, but if you havn't resolved your issue by the afternoon email me where your at & I can come by & try to help you. I'v tried 3 SVT dealers on the east side of town & only trust burt ford. Its been 3 years since I needed service so I'm not sure if the same people are there. If you live north I'v heard good things about omear fords service. If you live west not sure which dealers are SVTF service. Click on my profile for email address which I will be checking durring the day. Good luck.
Thats awesome! Thanks for the offer to help. I will be in touch with you tomorrow however I can't get your email address in your profile. It says the user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. I can shoot you a private message instead? Thanks again.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Send him an IM with either your email, or your phone number.
That should be just as good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I used to have an '05 STi and now have my '04 SVT. :) The STi was fun but I don't miss the payment for it either.

Good luck and let us know what the problem ended up being.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
SVTF_170 said:

]

Hey welcome to FF, sorry to here of the present mechanical problem,but as others have said, it's most likely the cable popped off.
NOW, for your statement here. It may have held true for stock, but wait till you turbo the SVT then compare. I'm makin 340hp/ 338tq @ the wheels, w/HR race springs&KYB AGX's for cornering. I lay in wait for STi's and EVO's....[:D]

1 - 20 of 41 Posts