Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am Chloe,

I am considering picking up a 2014 or 2015 Focus SE Hatchback. Long story short I am a Ford girl, I have a 2013 Mustang GT Premium that's just built up and is just a blast on the track. I also have a 1972 Mach1 that I have had since I was 16, can't sell her we have been through a lot together. However recent divorce left me with a crap ton of legal fees and increased student loans kicking in after my masters. So I am going to have to let the Mustang go and trade her in on something that I can get cheaper payments from.

Love the look of the SE Hatch its quite adorable, reviews seems to be pretty good as far as reliability. Most of the complaints I see are people complaining about a jerky automatic transmission, good thing I hate automatics so that's not exactly an issue. Besides that complaints about cup holders... When has Ford ever had cup holders worth a damn, they right right in front of the shifter on my Mustang try going to 6th with a mocha there... the struggle is real.

I do have questions about performance I have read a lot of the ST but that would not help my financial issues very much with monthly payments. Which is why I was looking at the SE. My questions are what are the big differences with the engine? If my track record holds true on cars I would be doing modding to the SE hatch anyhow. Most likely exhaust, CAI and suspension "if needed". Most likely turbo would happen at some point... would the stock SE support a turbo safely or would I need to look at forged internals first?

Other option was a Mini but I am seeing so many bad reviews on them with snapping timing chains idling at stop lights that I don't even think I want to take the risk on one.

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
If I am correct there is no Turbo in working order with a tune for the MK3 yet...

Can change the header, intake, exhaust. among other things.

Well...and WELCOME!! Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm interesting that they do not have one yet. Oh well not huge on my list if I was to go with one. I am not looking to put in to much money if I get one just something to get a bit more pep out of it. I just want it to be reliable and last me until I can get back into a Mustang again.

·
Registered
710 Posts
you have found the two issues I have with my 14HB
I can live with the cup holders , but should remove the rubber grippers from them

Maybe a divorce would have kept me out of the DCT transmission LOL
My wife can not and will not drive a STD and its a PIA having two cars in the driveway but her only being able to drive one
Actually a divorce probably would have kept me driving Honda's

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
One to thing to consider about the ST would be the insurance cost and premium fuel, along with the higher price of the car itself. Since it's technically a sports/track car, your insurance company will not be happy and as you may know, turbo needs 91 or better! So I doubt you'd save a lot of money switching from the mustang. I own a mk1 but have driven the mk3 hatch and it is really nice and with some mods and tune, it could be even better.

But anyways, welcome to FF and hope you find your car!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good point A1, I have my mustang tuned to 93.... and at 15 mpg it's not friendly at the pump. But we'll those were different times and I had a lot of disposable income. ....

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome!

Pasta was going REAL cheap with the SVT suggestion, newest is from '04.

Right now the SE's are going quite cheaply, the problem is finding one with the 5 spd. you want. I saw a post on an out the door price in the low 13's, earlier in the year 16,500 was about the best.

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I did it, Mustang GT traded in still a tad sad about that one she was my baby. But I picked up a nice little 2014 Focus SE, silver. Will post pictures of her tomorrow in the pictures form, its kinda dark right now.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome!

Pasta was going REAL cheap with the SVT suggestion, newest is from '04.

Right now the SE's are going quite cheaply, the problem is finding one with the 5 spd. you want. I saw a post on an out the door price in the low 13's, earlier in the year 16,500 was about the best.

Cheers
But yeah you were right finding that car in a manual without ordering it that way seems to be damn near impossible to find. There were none in the whole damn state, closest one was in Idaho and well that's just not worth it. The ST was just out of my budget I tried but could not get it to work.

·
Registered
710 Posts
But yeah you were right finding that car in a manual without ordering it that way seems to be damn near impossible to find. There were none in the whole damn state, closest one was in Idaho and well that's just not worth it. The ST was just out of my budget I tried but could not get it to work.
so what transmission did you get?

·
Breathing. Alive?
3,108 Posts
That engine bay is cleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Welcome! I recently trade my 2012 focus sel in on a 2014 st. I really enjoyed driving the 12, I wish I would have went for a manual transmission in that one instead of the automatic, I put almost 14000 miles on it and it was excellent on gas mileage and was really pleased with it while I had it. Overall it's a good reliable car

1 - 20 of 39 Posts