Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!
I'm new to the forum (obviously lol) but I bought my car a little over a year ago. I decided just before COVID hit that I'd teach myself to drive manual (not on my new focus don't worry) and since then my interest in cars has been increasing.
I have basically two questions to ask for now, one is do you have any recommendations for an affordable suspension upgrade because the mechanic tells me mine is starting to wear out, and two do any of you know what might cause a squealing sound when coasting after some freeway driving? It sounds like bad breaks but it's not when the breaks are pressed and it only happens sometimes so the mechanic can't diagnose it either.
Thank you in advance and I'm happy to be here!
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
2013 Focus SE gray 5 spd hatch
1,774 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
This place has been kind of low on participation lately but is still one of the best sources for information on anything Focus related.
That's a nice looking car and you bought a 5 speed MTX version so you avoid the troubles that come with owning the DPS6 auto. If those wheels are from the factory then you have the appearance package which is a nice upgrade. I can see the blinker indicators on the side mirrors which would have some with that package. I have those same wheels on my 2013 with the appearance package.
Does the squealing sound only happen when in neutral and coasting? Does it change when turning or hitting the brakes at all?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum.
This place has been kind of low on participation lately but is still one of the best sources for information on anything Focus related.
That's a nice looking car and you bought a 5 speed MTX version so you avoid the troubles that come with owning the DPS6 auto. If those wheels are from the factory then you have the appearance package which is a nice upgrade. I can see the blinker indicators on the side mirrors which would have some with that package. I have those same wheels on my 2013 with the appearance package.
Does the squealing sound only happen when in neutral and coasting? Does it change when turning or hitting the brakes at all?
It can be in gear or in neutral and it does seem to get a bit quieter when I apply the brakes but I think that's just because of the car moving slower. As for turning that doesn't seem to affect it. The biggest thing I notice about it is it seems to happen almost exclusively at low speeds in colder weather after the car has driven for a bit. I got my brake pads replaced and that didn't affect it.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Can you tell if it's coming from the front or back? Did your replace the front or rear pads?
Touch your rotors after driving for a while to see if one of them is real hot to where it burns your finger. If so, then maybe one of the calipers is hanging up. This is occasionally happening on my left rear caliper right now but it doesn't make a noise. Depending on the individual car though it could.
Another possibility is a brake splash shield might be just barely making contact with a rotor and making that noise.
I assume this noise isn't engine related? Does it get worse or go away when the RPM goes up/down?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you tell if it's coming from the front or back? Did your replace the front or rear pads?
Touch your rotors after driving for a while to see if one of them is real hot to where it burns your finger. If so, then maybe one of the calipers is hanging up. This is occasionally happening on my left rear caliper right now but it doesn't make a noise. Depending on the individual car though it could.
Another possibility is a brake splash shield might be just barely making contact with a rotor and making that noise.
I assume this noise isn't engine related? Does it get worse or go away when the RPM goes up/down?
RPM doesn't have any impact on it. I had all 4 brake pads replaced but I didn't think of the possibility of another piece rubbing so I'll take your advice and check the temperatures after I park it next time. Will update to let you know what I find, and thanks for the help btw!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RPM doesn't have any impact on it. I had all 4 brake pads replaced but I didn't think of the possibility of another piece rubbing so I'll take your advice and check the temperatures after I park it next time. Will update to let you know what I find, and thanks for the help btw!
Hi again I forgot to update for a while there sorry, but I checked all the calipers after driving and they were all equally cool to the touch. Nothing else on the wheels felt like it was radiating heat either so I'm thinking maybe it's something on an axle?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'd check the splash shields for the brakes like I mentioned. It's the most likely explanation. I guess it could be a wheel bearing and would be more likely if it's got over 100k miles on it. You may need to get an experienced mechanic to take a drive with you to listen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd check the splash shields for the brakes like I mentioned. It's the most likely explanation. I guess it could be a wheel bearing and would be more likely if it's got over 100k miles on it. You may need to get an experienced mechanic to take a drive with you to listen.
I see. Well thank you for your help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts