Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mkay, so the title does not give enough info. Haha.

I had a new Dual head unit w/ HD Radio, AUX input, USB, etc. It's awesome - love it. It is a cheaper head unit, and that is what the stereo shop tried to say was the cause for my issue.

I hypermile. So, I shut the car off and on a LOT. Every stop or slow down. Sometimes, when I would turn the car back on, with the iPhone plugged in via USB, the head unit would not come back on with the car. It would be blank and I would have to reset it to get it to work.

So I stopped using USB (though the sound is much better), and started using the 12v DC if my phone needed charged. Well, today, it just happened again, after about a week and a half of using this method.

To me, that says it is not the head unit to blame. I am think that the battery is not providing enough power, so the head unit is the first to go, as it is the least important and probably the biggest drain besides headlights. I'm not sure how ECU's work, but if I were to make a car, that's how I would set it up.

So, battery need replaced? AFAIK, it is the original battery. Not sure though, as I have never been under the battery box.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
the wiring on the head unti is my guess. bad connection somewhere. take it to the shop that did it tell them you want them to pull it out and look at the wiring. sit there and watch them do it. if they say they wont look at it then they are a crappy company and i would get my money back. if the cd player is the issue it wasnt desinged to do that cheap or not. it is built to work correctly if it is not they should replace it under warrenty. what brand head unit anyways?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dual brand.

I don't think it's the head unit, as it only does it when the iPhone is drawing a charge. Even when the iPhone is not plugged into the HU, but the 12v instead.

I used it for about a week using just the AUX with no issues.

The shop would look at it. For a charge.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
they either did something wrong or the hu is bad. either way they should warranty their work or the hu if its still under warranty. sounds like a bad connection to me. if they wont look at it for free then i wouldnt even go back there

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool so I'm screwed.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
how long ago did you get it? and is the head unit still under warranty if it is tell them it is not working correctly and it need replacing. if they say no dont ask them to do it just tell them to. companies like this one are all based upon customer satisfaction, the more happy customers the more business the more unhappy customers the less business. they might advertise there services but in the automotive industry it has always been who where and what has been proven to be of quality. if they refuse tell them that you take part in a local automotive group inwich will not shop there if they cant even back there own work or honor warranties. any smart business man/women will step up and do what they have to do to fix it. push them to atleast inspect it. the only other option would be to call the company that makes dual and question them about the warranty. if they tell you to go to the shop you bought it at then go back there and tell the shop owner that a rep from dual told you to have them inspect and honor the warranty. they wont piss off there reps. thats there money maker

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The unit was ordered from Crutchfield. Crutchfield said I would need to send the unit back for them to send out another one. There is also a restocking fee and I pay for shipping. Not sure how long the warranty is for but this was installed on 7/25.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
well thats a good example why you buy local so that warranty only takes a minute or 2 maybe a few days at most. you should still have the shop that installed it look at the wiring. my head unit did the same thing, they tested the power wire and ignition wire on the car and it turned out that they were mixed. for some reason on a lot of ford vehicles the wire that is meant for power and the one for ignition is switched. its an honest mistake and if that is the cause of the issue they should fix it for free

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, called them up and I'm going in today after work to have them look at it. Forgot to ask if they'd do it for free. I will hope so.

When I mentioned the ignition and power cables being switched around on a lot of Ford vehicles, he just said, "Huh," like he's never heard it before.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
i know 3 people whos wires were switched around and thats all 3 of the people here in alaska i know with 1st/1.5gen focus up here. maybe we where all just unlucky but i know it does happen

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i know 3 people whos wires were switched around and thats all 3 of the people here in alaska i know with 1st/1.5gen focus up here. maybe we where all just unlucky but i know it does happen
Hey, I'm not doubting your experience with it - I am doubting the knowledge of the shop's employees...

Did not get it in today. Tomorrow, hopefully. Had to deposit my check and pick up my computer from the shop. [rant]

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
im not saying you doubt me, theres a lot of shop owners that are doing it for the money and not because they actualy know what there doing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll let you know how it goes today at the shop. I have not had the iPhone plugged in today and it has done it twice.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
good luck hope it fixes it. they shouldnt charge you if they are a good dependable shop either they will want to keep their customers happy

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So since I only had it installed there and did not purchase it there, they said that if they determined it to be the stereo itself, I would be looking at about $35 for the labour.

Ten minutes later, they came out and said, "Wiring looks great (the part they did, of course). I really think it's the stereo itself (well, he called it a radio). Let us know if you want to replace it."

Ugh. So, no idea. I don't want to pay shipping and restocking fees to have this one replaced, either.

/facepalm

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
so thay charged you to double check their work? if you dont want that one replaced you could always try to find a nice one for cheap on craigslist or something.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They were going to charge me but it didn't take them long. But ya... Real bushwhackers! Too bad they are like the only shop here...

I won't find anything better. This one has USB, AUX, CD/MP3/WMA/AAC, and HD Radio. Just gotta deal with it, I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts