Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guyz i just got 2003 zx3 for my first car. My dad is really into cars and has a few highly modded v8's but doesnt know much about the sport compact 4 cyl cars. I read the "stickies" about basic bolt on's and the first upgrade i want to do is a intake. Reading the page on them gave me knowledge of how each worked but didnt say which one yields the most power. So is there 1 company where people have gotten the best gains if so which one is that and if theres more than one that gives good gains on average please list them. Thanx for the help guyz.[:D]

PS: I love the focus

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Hi there!! Welcome to Focus Fanatics!
As for the issue in discussion here. Yes! there's a lot of aftermarket companies out there who make great intakes for the focus. Some of the most used and talked about in the site are the VOLANT and Pipercross. A lot of people have them and say they are the best of the best. Quite honestly I think there's a lot of good manufacturers other than those to. It all depends what motor your focus has. If it has the 2.0L Zetec Ive had AEM and Iceman. I use the Iceman while Im driving around and when I wanna race hard I bolt on the the AEM. I have the cold air intake from AEM. Both my AEM and Iceman work awesomely and I have zero complaints about them. So my reccomend would be Iceman or an AEM CAI.

Good luck with your new ride!

·
EvenDeathCan'tStopMe
4,894 Posts
Nothing better than my Volant... LOVE IT!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a Steeda...sounds great, but it's too tall for the engine compartment. My hood hits it and has worn off the finish in that spot. I wouldn't recommend it over the other options out there.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ya.... i hear ya on the steeda intake. i just don't wanna shell out the cash for a volant. i don't wanna shell out the cash for anything anymore LOL. i wish things didn't cost soo much these days (way off topic)

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
there is also focussports cai. i have their coolflo, its just a heat shield and high flow filter, go with the cai and a by-pass valve to help combat the water induction

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
AEM SRI Rules, if you don't want to get in trouble with water on your motor off course!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome man [welcome], Volant is my choice. I don't have it but i'm saving up to get one to replace my custom SRI. either that or the focus sport cool-air.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
well no offense to volant owner but in the end the volant ends up leaving the filter where a short ram does......... to me the volant is nothing but a short ram.......... to me the best air intake for the focus is the AEM....
works a lot better than my old iceman

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
its dyno proven that the svt airbox/snorkel produces the same numbers on a dyno as the volant, and the volant is one of the best flowing intakes made for the focus, so dont waste your money the svt setup can be had for like 50 bucks used.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
also if i go with a cai that goes in the fender do i have to get a bypass valve. i dont think i will b drivin through like ponds but im not sure wat that is for.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts